Sunday, August 5, 2012

7 Months + Baby Quilt Top + Icky House Mess

The calendar is crazy. It can't really be the beginning of August...


Now, don't be deceived by how small my tummy appears in this photo. Sam told me the other day to lay off the beer (it looks like I have a beer belly).  Har, har, har...

It's much harder to get a good belly shot than it looks. Either my hands are positioned right and my face looks icky, or the lighting is weird, or something else. Oh well.



Not much progress in the baby's room as I would hope to share with you right now. I still feel like I'm getting back in the groove of not being on vacation or youth conference or cleaning up a house mess (wait for that story). But, my mom did help me with a baby quilt. We finished the top fairly quickly, and while she was away I only had to unpick like 2-3 times. That's pretty good for me! :) Now all we have to do is quilt and bind it.

I got the pattern idea from pinterest. I'm really a fan of big, simple lines on quilts. I like showing off fabric and the clean, crispness of big blocks. Plus, it's simple. And I'm not a sewer, so I need simple.




So, when we returned from Baltimore, I stepped in water. On the carpet. In the basement. Not a good sign.

We apparently had a leaky faucet that leaked out under the sink and into the vent beneath it. It went into the vent and came out the ceiling in our basement onto the carpet beneath it (but not a huge spot, thankfully). It also got between the tile and the floorboard in the kitchen and caused all kinds of icky mildew on the tile grout. It also dripped straight down through the floor and onto the clothes dryer and floor next to it (that was the easiest part to clean).
Icky floody-ness, ripped out by Sam.

Luckily I kept the warranty paperwork on the faucet (we put it in new when we bought the house 2 years ago), and good ol' Home Depot gave us full refund on it. We used it to go towards an up-graded faucet.
Sam cut out all the wet sheet rock.
Then he installed a light in that hallway while it was apart,
and put it all back together again before carpet
cleaning people came.

Also luckily we have been building a home repair fund, thanks to the information I learned while attending college (studying family finance and housing) and teaching home ownership classes (it's recommended to save 1-3% of your home's value in its own little "home repair and maintenance fund" to have a source to pay for a leaky faucet, or a new roof, or whatever).

We bought a new garbage disposal while we were at it.
Sam is really glad he's not a plumber by profession.
It was nice to know we had money put aside and I didn't have to fret about getting the tile cleaned and buying a new faucet. Instead of worry and concern, I felt great relief.

1 comment:

Summer Naylor said...

Your prego pics crack me up... you look like me 6 months post partum when I am starting to feel skinny again! Ha ha! Love you!