Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A Nanny: Wouldn't It Be Lovely?

Sometimes I daydream about how nice it would be to have a nanny. I've never had one. I've never been one. I couldn't afford one. And I don't actually want one--I'm way too particular about doing things the way I want it done. Just ask Sam.

It would, however, be nice if I had a nanny handy in these specific situations.

1. When the baby is napping and I need to go to the store. When my baby sleeps, I usually get a lot done around the home and/or for work. But sometimes I need to run to the store. Most of the time I can get to the store after I drop the preschooler off but before the baby needs a nap, though not always. Morning nap comes quickly and it sure would be nice to have a nanny to hang around at home, listening for the baby that probably won't wake up, while I run a quick errand.

2. When the baby is sleeping and I need to go pick up or drop off the preschooler. This happens all the time lately...poor little one's nap is cut short way too often. Hey, I'd even be okay with the nanny dropping off and picking up.

3. When cooking dinner. I saw this meme a few months ago and thought is was perfect. Why is it that while you can do other chores around the house without much difficulty (usually), making dinner is incredibly difficult for the children? That is exactly the precise moment every day that they want everything and anything from me. If a nanny were around I could think about the meal without burning it or forgetting an ingredient. Or simply have dinner ready in half the time, as I'd be distraction free. That'd be lovely.

4. When I get ready in the morning. Most of the time, I can get ready before the kids wake up. Or at least on the days when I wake up at 5:30AM to exercise. Those are always my best days. Other days I wake up later and try to squeeze in a workout, but I might not get done before they awake, or the baby wakes earlier than usual. I can get ready really quickly when someone isn't pulling on my leg or begging for breakfast.

5. When making a quick trip somewhere--up the road to a neighbor's to drop off stuff, etc., when I have my arms full. Sometimes loading/unloading kids in car seats or using a stroller isn't conducive or is more effort than it's worth. We just don't live in a world where the kids can stay in the car longer than a moment.

6. When I need a power nap. Every now and then my kids will play nicely together in another nook of the house, but no matter if they just began or have been playing for a while, as soon as I lay down on the couch they are all over me. It's like the very thought of "oh, it'd be nice to have a nap" is a magnet for the kids. No matter what they are doing, they have a sudden and urgent need to find me and prevent such a nap. Even if the nanny only kept the children in the other room for 5 minutes, it'd be worth it.



Of course, sometimes my husband is around to fill these nanny-needs. Sometimes. We're pretty busy folks, and we do a lot of passing of the batons (the batons are the children). One day my kids will be older and they can fill these nanny-needs. Until then, I'll keep daydreaming.

3 comments:

Julianne said...

Ah yes, I think we have all wished for this one some time or another. A nanny or a live-in relative (any extra set of hands really) would be dreamy!

Merrilee said...

A teenager in the house actually works quite well for a lot of these things. At least when they are home and in a cooperative mood! I really don't know how I had little kids before without that extra set of hands!

Summer Naylor said...

So true!