For work and training purposes, I had the opportunity to travel to Baltimore; we decided to have Sam join me at the end of the conference. Baltimore became our "babymoon" of this pregnancy. Sam's family helped with Winston, and we were able to enjoy a few days exploring Baltimore and Washington, D.C.
 |
| A tradition of ours to mock faces of statues/totem poles/tikis, etc. |
 |
| Penny mosaic made of pennies. |
 |
| Mirror tunnel. It disoriented me. |
 |
| A cool camera that made us look like this. You should have seen Sam's dance moves. It was funny. |
 |
| A real (stuffed) elephant head with two working trunks. |
The Baltimore Harbor is a fun place to walk around, with shops, restaurants and street performers.
 |
| We ate at Bubba Gumps, and I actually ordered and ate fish (gasp! I know, I know...maybe it's just a pregnancy thing?). Sam ordered cajun shrimp that looked good, even though I don't like shrimp. I even had a bite...still don't like shrimp. My batter-fried tilapia with lemon sauce and artichokes was delicious, though. |
 |
| Baltimore's screwpile lighthouse. |
 |
| Baltimore is the birthplace of Babe Ruth. This statue is in front of Camden Yards where the Orioles play. We passed an opportunity (or two or three) to watch a ball game...we're just not that into sports (or sitting in the heat). |
We also visited Fort McHenry--famous for the site where Francis Scott Key watched the battle between Great Britain and the U.S. and wrote the Star-Spangled Banner. The following day at the National American History Museum in D.C. we saw the original flag that "was still there" which inspired our national anthem.
 |
At Fort McHenry is a poster of Major General Samuel Smith. Sam's middle name is Smith, so I had him pose.
|
We spent one day train- and metro-riding down to D.C. Too bad there wasn't more time to explore, but we did what we wanted and had a great time together.
 |
| Washington, D.C. LDS Temple. Everyone always says how beautiful it is, and now that I've seen it I can add that the photos don't do any justice to its beauty. It's a magnificent sight; I'm so glad we were able to go through it. Totally worth the 1.3 mile one-way walk from the nearest metro station (it was easier to walk than wait for the bus). |
 |
| Sam and Kermit at the Smithsonian National American History Museum. |
 |
| The real ruby slippers, National American History Museum. |
We happened to go to D.C. on the hottest day of the week. We melted. It was 96 degrees but felt like 106 (according to the Weather Channel's app), and 51% humidity. YUCK! Needless to say, we tried not to walk around outside more than necessary (though we had already walked 3ish miles to/from the temple). Smoothies helped cool us.
 |
| Washington Monument, in D.C. |
 |
| The ORIGINAL Washington Monument in Baltimore; same architect as the more famous one in D.C. |
Baltimore is also home to America's first Cathedral, the Baltimore Basilica. It was very beautiful inside--nice and bright and reverent. I'm glad we stopped by and walked through.
 |
| Baltimore Basilica |
 |
| Inside the cathedral: statue and altar of Michael casting out the dragon (see the dragon at his feet?). |
The day we left Baltimore was the beginning of a huge comic book convention of some kind. There were all sorts of costumes roaming around. We didn't think of grabbing photos until it was nearly too late, but Sam did catch this one just before we boarded the train to the airport. There were many, many more absurd outfits. I don't know how they didn't feel silly.
 |
| Comic book convention attendees. |
We had a great time together; we love the time away, but we're always happy to come back home.
No comments:
Post a Comment