On Saturday December 29th, 2007, I moved to Duchesne, Utah. I've had so many adventures there that I just have to share. Before I begin, I probably need to tell you that Duchesne is a pretty small town in rural Utah (if you know rural Utah that should be enough explanation--if not, read on).
First of all, after we had some help unloading our U-haul, our landlord came and told us he called the people who own the U-haul place in town and they wouldn't be in their office until the following Wednesday, so we could just keep it until then (even though we had to sign a form in Logan saying we'd return it Saturday or we'd have to pay a certain amount per day after that). So, the empty U-haul hung out on the street infront for the next few days.
Next, I asked the landlord for a key to the house. He then informed me he didn't have one, but I shouldn't worry because my things wouldn't be bothered. He must have seen the un-discrete look on my face, because a few moments later he was back with a new door knob and key.
I began looking for my mailbox to see if I had received my last paycheck that I had forwarded the previous week. I looked by the door, out on the street, and even around the corner. No mail box to be found. Upon calling the landlord, I learned no mail is delivered in Duchesne; I was left to infer that meant I need a PO Box. So, to the Post Office we go (across the street). I was given a form for a PO Box and after it was completely filled out, the man then told me they were out of PO boxes. That's right--out. They'd call me when one became open. I had to ask what to do in the meantime, and the postman told me (in a tone that meant "well, duh, you should know this") I'd have to just use general delivery. Until then, I had no idea what general delivery was. Now, I know it means mail should be addressed this way:
Melanie Jewkes
General Delivery
Duchesne, UT
And mail would come to the post office and then I'd have to go up to the counter and ask for my mail. What a pain! I finally decided to use my work PO box, and I didn't get a call from the Post Office about an available PO Box for almost a month later.
No comments:
Post a Comment