Monday, July 28, 2008

Ways I'm OCD

  • I can't leave the house without making sure everything (except for the refrigerator) is unplugged, especially when I leave overnight. It's seriously become an obsession! Sometimes I get out the door and on my way to where ever and turn back around just to make sure no curling-iron or toaster or cell phone charger was left to suck up energy.
  • I can't throw a piece of paper away that hasn't been used on BOTH sides. It's become worse since I came to Duchesne and literally moved 100+ miles away from a good recycling program. I have a growing pile of scrap-paper to print on. And a small box with quarter-sized sheets I use for notes and lists. And a larger box of other usable used-on-only-one-side paper to one day make into small notepads for the office.
  • I have to organize the dishes before I wash them. This includes taking out everything that is in the sink (if anything) and stacking similar dishes. Bowls upon bowls upon stacked plates. Silverware and cooking utensils in a larger bowl. Glasses stacked within each other. Anything near that is not a dish is put away. Oh, and the dish drainer has to be completely empty, too. (We don't have a dishwasher, or I would just start piling them in that, instead of sorting then washing, of course).
My social-worker step-dad assured me that I'm not really OCD, because if I do happen to not go back and check on what I left plugged in, it doesn't take control of my mind and ability to connect in the world.

Or maybe it does...maybe that's why I have a hard time remembering little things lately. :-)

4 comments:

Jentry said...

You and me are the same. Those are the exact same things that I do. Though now we have a dishwasher so we load as we go.

Lisa said...

Mel, that's hilarious. My OCD things are diminishing of late, but I still can't stand dirty feet. I wipe Lee's feet (if he's barefoot) with baby wipes every diaper change. I often wash my feet before bed. We all have something...

Unknown said...

Oh Melanie, you are fun! Although I never realized it, I do the same things too. Especially with paper because it is so dang expensive in Brazil.

Candi Merritt said...

How funny...I am just like you! I check that everything is unplugged before I leave, too - usually, at least four times. I also have to organize the dished before I wash them. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one:)