Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Motivational Speaker

Last Wednesday evening I attended a motivational presentation at the AFCPE Conference in Garden Grove, CA. The speaker was John Hope Bryant, who is the vice-chairman of the U.S. President's Council on Financial Literacy (among other things).

He was indeed a motivational speaker. Knowing that notes will not do the presentation justice, I feel it might still be worth something.

Here are a few of my notes from his presentation:

- Fear is bringing down our country. Fear's 1st cousin is greed. Greed's roommate is laziness. Laziness' best friend is "me" not "we."

- You don't need to be conceded, just convinced. Don't be cynical, but skeptical--to be cynical is to not have hope.

- John spoke about how his associates couldn't believe that he agreed to work under Pres. George W. Bush. This is what he had to say about this: It's the stupidest thing to wish your president to fail. If he's doing bad--assume he is being given bad counsel, and go and give him good counsel. If he fails, WE ALL FAIL. (Amen to that!)

- Re-imagine the world you want to live in. Sometimes it takes a re-thinking of things in order to make our world what we want it to be. Re-imagine the world you want to live in.

- 5% of the population as (good, positive) role models is all that's needed to stabilize a community.

- I think this was my favorite part (along with the above comment about a President failing): We're living in a historical moment but it doesn't have to end bad. We are going to make it through.
Barack Obama isn't going to save you.
The Senators aren't going to save you.
The republican party isn't going to save you.
The democrat party isn't going to save you.
Your Mayor won't save you.
Your employer won't save you.
YOU are going to save you!

- You don't get credit for what you are supposed to do...be proud of what you gave and not what you got.

- Even badness is failed goodness.

- My next favorite part: Instead of being an expert on what we're against, be an expert on what we are FOR.

John stated he'd have this speech put online for us to listen to. I haven't been able to find it yet, but when I do, I'll post the link. It was a great presentation, and I am grateful for his optimism and example of how we are to be true citizens of this great, God-given country. The constitution truly is inspired, and our country is about "we the people."

3 comments:

Jillian said...

What a good guy with great thoughts! I really like the ones on the president too. It's easy to complain, but it's not the easiest to suggest plausible ways to make things better. Definitely the latter is the better plan though. Thanks for sharing Mel!

Kristy said...

That sounded like a great presentation to be able to go to. That is fun you got to go to the AFCPE conference. I also liked that thought on the president. It really is the stupidest thing to think that you want the president to fail. Very good thoughts.

Kristy

P.S. I'm not sure if I have your current email address. We are making our blog private and I wondered if you could leave a comment on the blog so that I can invite you...

Diane said...

Great posts! I love your stand on Prop 8. I loved the post about the dish soap. Just yesterday I was spraying Shout on some clothes and thinking, "It's amazing, I've been married over 4 years and I still have Shout from my wedding." It's great to not have to buy stuff like that.