Throughout my life, I've always found it easier to like girl names. There aren't many boy names that I am totally excited about--that I've ever been excited about. And ones I like are too popular and common. I went to junior high with about 8 different boys named "Josh" and those were just the ones in my grade. I hope not to name my children names that are that popular.Here are some baby boy names that Sam and I like:
- Lincoln
- Winston
- Amos
- Jack
- Elliott
- Graham
- Eli
Middle names we both like:
- Sam (or Samuel)
- Jack (obviously not if used as a first name...although that'd be cool--Jack Jack...haha)
- Noble
- Blackham
- Lee
Here are some problems we've encountered:
- Amos means "heavy ladened or burdened." I don't think I could intentionally name a little baby "burdened."
- Unbeknownst to me, until about a month ago when I walked into a gas station, Winston is a brand of cigarrettes.
Basically, we're still stuck. And the days are winding down.
Let's get some great feedback (this time, it's no April Fool's joke). What do you think (esp. of Winston? Do you think of cigarettes?)? Any other suggestions?
16 comments:
Della and I are talking about your names and we like
Elliot Samuel Jewkes!
Not Graham for sure, or Della likes Elliot Noble Jewkes.
Good luck, I am excited for my little nephew to come.
For what it's worth I wouldn't name him anything that you can already foresee potentially being made fun of...like Winston.
Josh and I like Graham!
Those are some REALLY good choices, so I'm having a hard time. I did like the idea of you doing your maiden name as his middle name because it works well with the masculine names. Just don't do that though if you're going to name him Jack. You know, as in Jack Black...ham ;)
Well, I guess you could but you might be setting yourself up a little :)
I think only those who were at the conception have the right on input on the naming of the child. But since you asked,I like everything but Graham-too much like Graham cracker or an English guy with bad teeth. Lee- might not be the most masculine of middle names unless you are going for the southern Bobby Lee effect or even Asian. I keep thinking of Jack Lee or Lincoln Lee?
Why not Mel? We have an uncle Mel and grandpa and you- I like it. Mel Blackham Jewkes Not on the list. Just a thought.
That's my two cents.Now that you got more than you wanted.
Serena
Would someone really get teased for having the same name as some brand of cigarettes? There are other things associated with Winston, like Winston Churchill. I don't think it would be a big deal.
There are always uncommonly used bible names. Hezakiah (I don't know if I spelled that right), Elijah, Lachish, Shobai... there are a lot of interesting names there. Maybe you would find one you liked.
Just google "bible names."
Winston reminds me of an old English chap--it's one of my least favorites. I agree with whoever said to eliminate any that already have the potential to be made fun of. I like Graham the best I think, and I don't think of graham cracker at all. Even if I did though, I think that's better than thinking of cigarettes, or being burdened.
I like Eli and Elliot. So cute. And to me I think a middle name should have some significance to it. Jake and I are gonna do my maiden name as a middle name. I love that idea. Good luck :)
Cody and I are big proponents of using family names as middle names, but ultimately, it is up to you. If you can just find a short list of names that you both agree on, then take it to the hospital, and you can look at little wee-one when he arrives. Good news is, I don't think the names you've listed here are intensely popular right now, but they are still very nice. My personal vote is for Eli Samuel Jewkes.
I agree: girl names are a ton easier and there are a lot of good ones. I also want you to know I'm disappointed that Jordan isn't one of your choices. :)
That said, Winston is DEFINITELY cigarettes and not American-sounding. I like Amos...sure he's a cookie, but hey, he's a prophet too.
No one's really said anything about Lincoln, but that's my first choice. Yeah, our president wasn't the best looking guy, but I think more of a classy Lincoln (car) and it just sounds good off the tongue. Eli is okay, but there was a 300-pound lineman that played for BYU with that name, so that's what it reminds me of. :) Lincoln, Graham and Amos are my picks!
I don't think of Winston as cigarettes at all. I didn't even know they were cigarettes. Jack is cute, but it is one of the most popular boys names right now. I have a little neighbor kid named Eli and he is awesome, so I have good thoughts about that name. My fav. was Lincoln. Good name. And pretty original. Amos is probably my least favorite.
Good luck! I know what you mean about boys names - they are hard. I especially don't want to name my boys common names, because our last name is so common (Peterson). Of course, I think I am just picky with all names, boys or girls.
Kristy
When I hear Winston I think of this old, fat sick cat named Wilson. He was enormous and about 17 years old, and he'd walk around coughing and throwing up. He'd whine all the time and was desperate for attention, and one time somebody started calling him Winston. Lol, sorry.
I agree about naming boys - it's hard! Girls seem so easy to name in comparison.
I think that he's your kid, so name him what you want. You could test out a few names and try to make fun of them. Brad and I did that. I wouldn't worry about Winston being a cigarette though. Bud is a beer and people use that as a name or nickname all the time. And seriously, you could drive yourself crazy trying to come up with a name with zero potential issues. Alas, naming a baby is one of the hardest things, but they make their name what it is rather than the name making them who they will become.
No Amos, no Winston, give the kid a fighting chance at school. Lincoln and Eli are my favorite.
Totally agree with Diane, ultimately the child makes the name and whatever you decide to name him, it will become him and who he is. I like your choices, my hubby and I tend to go for family names. Good luck, it's a hard job giving your child a name, but whatever you choose will be the right one for him! (On a side note, my second child, a boy, didn't have a name until the day we left the hospital. Throughout my pregnancy I kept feeling like I needed to see his face before I could really lock in on a name. He became Jacob...a family name :D)
So, I hate to admit it, but Graham is a little too much like a cracker. And that is really my first thought. However, I LOVE Eli. We know a little boy named Lincoln and he always gets called "Linc" -- a little weird, but whatever. I do love Jack, but it is popular. Winston sounds like an "older person", but hey, he will be older at one point in his life. Go with what you like.
We did decide to use the name of someone influential in our lives as the middle name. Which I realize could be a family member, but I think it is fun to remember those who got you to where you are now. I do REALLY like using the maiden name as a middle though -- we may still do that.
As far as other names, take them for what they're worth (we obviously rejected them too, although I love them still):
Owen
Vaughn
Victor
Garrett
Jason (this is your brother's name, right?)
Eric (we won't be using this one :D)
Jace
Mason
Desmond (don't laugh just because of LOST)
And never forget (I think I may have already told you this): while some things are harder for boys (clothes, names, etc.) they will ALWAYS have the cooler toys. Good luck, guys!!!
Boys really are hard to name, but I totally agree with Diane! We have some friends who named there kid George and we couldn't believe it, but now we love it! He's the coolest little Georgie anyone ever saw! And did you know the Rogers in our old ward? They named their son Jeeter, an interesting name, but it totally fits him now. He's such a cute kid! It's all about the kid! And kids can invent ways to tease no matter what. I like Lincoln and Jack, but Elliot is totally my favorite. I think it's great for a young or old person. I would never think of cigarettes with Winston. It's just a very mature sounding name. I do like it, though, and I think it would continue to grow on me!
Good luck! Can't wait to see what the little guy looks like!
Post a Comment