Friday, June 19, 2009

My Pregnancy Essentials List

As I’ve reflected on my pregnancy, there are 5 things that really made a difference and helped make the pregnancy, labor and delivery smooth.

1) “Yoga for Your Pregnancy” DVD. A friend of mine loaned this to me when I was about 6 months along. I used it a few times and then purchased one through amazon for myself. Love, love, love it. It even has a postnatal workout, which I’ve been doing for about 3 weeks now.

2) THIS ARTICLE ("the purpose of pain in labor" on page 8 of the PDF file) and “Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth” book. Both of these were recommended to me, by different friends. Going into the pregnancy, I just figured I’d have an epidural birth. The first item changed my mind and the second gave me the motivation and some techniques I needed to go through with the natural labor.

3) Hot water bottle. I had a few days, not really more than a week combined probably, of some pretty intense lower back aches. Mostly on Sundays—probably because I am not physically active on Sundays—no exercise routine, and I don’t walk back and forth between home and the office—and I do a whole lot more sitting (through church, at home, at other church meetings, etc.). Anyway, this hot water bottle saved me from taking any pain medications—it really eased or relieved the pain completely.

4) Itch-relief cream. Starting about 19 weeks along I broke out in a patch of hives on my calves. I periodically became covered in these hives on my arms and legs. Itch-relief (Benadryl) cream, helped keep them from growing and spreading, and took away the itch. So did exercise, I noticed. If I ever woke up with hives (which happened quite frequently), they were gone after exercising.

5) Supportive husband. Sam was great through the whole thing. He accompanied me to programs I had for work—carrying all my boxes of stuff for the presentations, etc. He was also really good to write up our birth plan and packing list for the hospital. He even helped me practice breathing and relaxation techniques for labor and delivery. One day I noticed how HUGE my calves seemed (only that day…they went back to normal after that time I noticed), and I said over and over how big they looked and how I hoped I didn’t continue to swell, etc. During one of our relaxing practices after that, Sam said something along these lines: “…relax your lower back and your legs…you’re calves are small.” I laughed out loud for quite a while. And during labor, he was really great to let me lean on him, or to put pressure against my back, and being an overall great support. All women in labor need a husband like mine.

1 comment:

Jillian said...

I'm so impressed with you Mel. I think your #5 is my favorite. Having a supportive companion seems to be the biggest difference maker for my Mom's couples that she teaches too. And the fact that you practiced the relaxing techniques is a big indication that you were serious about having a good, natural birth. So many people overlook those two things thinking it won't make a difference. I don't know from personal experience of course, but from observing I would say those two make or break it. So glad that you two make the experience go well all along the way :)