Sunday, September 25, 2011

My Dear Grandpa Jack

 My dear grandfather passed away at 12:45AM Saturday September 24, 2011. He had emergency gall bladder surgery (with a stone the size of a robin's egg!), and complications kept him in the hospital for 6 weeks too many. He's stubborn and tried his hardest to fight it all--even the nurses sometimes. :) He always said he wanted to live forever, even if it meant being hooked to all sorts of machines--he wanted his great-great grandchildren to know him. I think it was a lot harder for him than he anticipated.

We all hated to see him suffering so. He looked so weak and vulnerable. Last Monday my dear grandmother decided enough was enough and feeding tubes and oxygen were removed. He no longer ate, but continued to receive pain medication.

My grandpa was always really good with dates and would remember birth dates of all those he cared about. Approaching someone's birthday, he'd say, "Well, well, you will be 23 years old next week." So it shouldn't surprise any of us when we learned he passed away on the anniversary of the day he was sealed for time and all eternity to his lovely wife and three children in the Manti Utah Temple. What a sweet way to honor the love of his life.

Grandpa Jack with Winston Jack on the day of Winston's birth.

Grandpa Jack with Winston on Winston's blessing day.
I love how they are looking into each other's eyes.
Our little Winston Jack is named after my grandpa. I'm glad we chose to do so. My grandma said today that he never did anything wrong in his life. I'm his youngest grandchild, and am so grateful he was able to see me become a mother. 

A week before Winston was born we celebrated Grandma and Grandpa's 60th wedding anniversary. What wonderful examples of love for all of us.

60th Wedding Anniversary Party

Something I will always treasure was the way Grandpa reached for Winston and caressed his leg one of the last times we visited, and the way he woke up to say "good bye little one" as we left. You could tell he cared for the little ones, his dear great-grandchildren.

A couple of days before Grandpa passed, and about the time he stopped responding to anyone or would respond with words we couldn't understand, Winston and I were visiting him for a few hours. Grandpa was mostly asleep, and only occasionally said anything--usually moaning and groaning. At one point I told my aunt I was taking Winston outside to run around. Grandpa piped up and said "Stay out of the road!" That's just like him--making sure we're safe and out of harm's way. Later that day as we went to leave, I gave him a kiss, told him we were leaving and that I loved him. He didn't open his eyes or move, but he very quickly, and very clearly responded "I love you, too." It was very sweet.

We miss and love him very much.

3 comments:

Diane said...

What a sweet man. It's obvious that his family was most important to him. I love that you named Winston his great grandpa's name as his middle name. I think it's great for kids to have a family name and legacy to live up to.

Merrilee said...

Your grandpa was such an amazing person. I have loved the 15 years I have been able to know him. We will miss him so much!

The Monson Family said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. That's such a sweet memory of your grandpa for you to cherish.