Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Not That Big Already!?

I can't believe our little Winston turned three last week!


I have a lot of family members with May birthdays (see top right of the collage), and considering Mother's Day celebrations, we had a lot of parties and a lot of cake!

Chocolate-Covered Oreo Cookie Cake.
Recipe & photo found here.
I discovered a chocolate-covered oreo cookie cake in a collection of recipes I've been saving, and Winston (and most others) loved it!

Mine doesn't look as pretty up there (top left) as the recipe shows. I used untrimmed parchment paper...much to my surprise, the cake batter did NOT push the parchment flat against the side of the pan. Lesson learned. The next cake for the family party, a yummy coconut mounds cake--a recipe of my mother's--turned out nearly perfect!

For the oreo cake, I used a recipe found here. Except I used my Grandmother's from-scratch chocolate butter cake recipe (way more superb than a cake mix cake), adding more cocoa for a darker chocolate flavor.  Sam and I aren't really cake lovers, so saying this is a yummy one means it's really a yummy one (as is that coconut mounds cake; maybe one day I'll post the recipe)--I'm sure you'd all enjoy it.

No comments: