Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Unique Challenges of Long Baby Hair

The other day Sam was changing Winston's diaper and I happened to come around near the end, so as Sam took the dirty diaper to the garbage I was left to sinch up the new diaper. As I was about to, Winston started crying. I looked at his face to tell him it would be okay and that I was almost done, when I noticed that his heightening cries were a result of his own doing.

He had a fistful of hair and wouldn't let go. He had such a strong hold that it was literally causing him pain--and his cries grew louder and stronger. His face was turning bright red and big tears were running down his cheeks. I tried to release his fist, but I couldn't without feeling like I'd pull out a clump of hair. It was so terrible to see his poor little face, but it was sadly humorous--that he was the cause of his own pain and couldn't help it.

Sam was able to unclench his fist and he calmed down shortly thereafter. We'll see if this happens again...I fear it will, since he has so much hair and he's anxious to grab on to things.

2 comments:

julie said...

That is so sad...but I am sure it was funny too. I've never seen a baby boy with more hair than Winston does. Its so darn cute!

Kristy said...

Poor kid! It must be hard for babies to not be able to control their limbs! It sounds like you guys are doing well.

Kristy