These are all of Winston about a year ago.
Aren't sleeping babies the most precious things ever created?
They are, it's true. But when they don't want to sleep, and you do...well, it's difficult.
Winston started sleeping with us about the time he grew out of his bassinet. It was easier to nurse at night because I didn't have to get out of bed or even really wake up. And then I started to enjoy having him so close to me, and he began to get used to it, too.
It got to the point where he couldn't sleep unless he was next to (or between) us. But, we didn't really mind, because we all got sleep.
The last few months, however, Winston woke up more than usual during the night or wanted to play too long before falling asleep. It was becoming frustrating for him and me. Everyone kept telling me that nursing babies don't sleep through the night, and that once I stopped nursing, he would. I don't want to completely give up nursing just yet, however I'm certain nighttime nursing was a soothing and habitual thing more than anything else.
My friend Nancy suggested a method she used with her little boy that worked wonders. I finally checked the book Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems, by Richard Ferber out of the library and put it to the test last Monday (almost a week ago).
The main idea is that you wait a given time (say, 5 minutes) before going in to the room while your baby is trying to go to sleep. You stand in the room, but don't pick up the baby or even talk. Then you leave, and add a few minutes to the amount of time you waited the first time (say, 7 minutes), before reentering. This is done until the baby falls asleep.
The first night we did it I told myself I'd give him 15 minutes before going to him. He was well on his way to sleep before 15 minutes was up. A few hours later he woke up and after 15 minutes, I went in to his room. He was crying and reaching for me, and I soon left the room crying myself. It was really hard to see my poor little boy reaching for me without picking him up. I watched the clock waiting 17 minutes before sending Sam in, but Winston was asleep before that time came. He woke up one more time that night, but cried for only a minute or two.
Each night this past week he made more progress. One night Sam had to go in after 15 minutes of crying, but when Winston saw him, he immediately threw himself into his pillow and went to sleep--he was mad it was Sam and not me.
Friday evening he never cried until about 5:30 am and only for a few moments. Last night was a record night--no crying whatsoever (except a few moments when we first put him down). This was the first night all three of us slept the entire night without waking since Winston was born (and we didn't have to wean him, either). That was almost 15 months ago. We're feeling pretty good, as you can imagine.
Shout out to Nan for recommending the book. Big thanks to Sam for cuddling me while I cried about Winston crying. And kudos to Winston for being such a trooper and adapting so well to the new routine.
4 comments:
Yeeehaaaaw!!! That is so super exciting. I am so happy for you!!
Hooray!!! I'm so glad it worked for you. You're awesome, Winston!
I'm so happy for you! That is great. Lee was one of those amazing sleep-through-the-night-within-two-weeks kind of babies, so we were shocked when Annalisa wanted to wake up several times every night. I got so sleep deprived I was worried about driving a mile to the grocery store for fear of falling asleep behind the wheel. It was horrid. But about that age, 15 months or so, we started doing a similar go-to-sleep routine. It wasn't perfect, but it was so much better! Now, of course, she sleeps through the night all the time and it is heavenly. Good work!
Sleeping babies are so dang cute! Especially when you get to hold them while they fall asleep and just snuggle with them. I must admit though that I have also come to LOVE the random jabberings of my niece in the morning when she's just woken up or just about to fall asleep for nap. She's in the room next to mine so I have a pretty good place to observe it all. Anyhow it's fun to hear what her little mind comes up with to say. Love it :)
Post a Comment