We've been enjoying fresh-grown spinach, romaine and green lettuce, along with peas, radishes and fresh basil for a few weeks now. I've made a few never-made-before salads for pot lucks that everyone has enjoyed. It's nice to always have fresh greens ready for salads.
After being gone for a few days, I decided to take a closer look at our garden and pull some nasty looking weeds (all the while I'm thinking how nice it would be to live in the Garden of Eden and not have weeds that afflict and torment me...oh well).
Check out the loot that was ready to pull today.
I'm not much of a beet fan, but I love fresh spicy radishes, and I'm looking forward to some sautéed zucchini in lemon pepper and garlic. Yum!
Note to self for next year: The greens of beets, and turnips especially, are HUGE. Definitely give them more space next year.
Note to self #2: I sometimes forget that the work of the garden doesn't stop when I pull something out of the ground or off the plant. It still needs to be washed, scrubbed, separated from it's greens, cut, stored...it's a lot of work that gets the kitchen sink and counters really dirty. Make rinsing outside a habit.
No comments:
Post a Comment