Monday, July 25, 2011

The Superior "Un-superiors"

I mentioned once upon a blog post that I am often a generic type of shopper.

And since I blogged about that, I realized there are some items which I will not compromise, one thing of late being makeup. I seem to be allergic to all cheap-o stuff (and even some not-so-cheap-o stuff) ever since Winston was born, and I'm really not saying that just as an excuse to buy the nice mineral stuff. I did, however, finally find some great makeup, moisturizer and cleanser to make my skin happy. Shout for joy!

Dryer sheets are another I won't compromise on any longer. Bounce all the way, baby.

But, most of the time we buy generic stuff.

Sam was sure that no generic Oreo would ever be as good as double-stuffed Oreos. But, amazingly, he found a match! And for usually half the price of true-branded Oreos, I'd say they can be considered superior. (We'd probably have to do a blind taste test to be absolutely sure...)


Aww, Target, you win my heart again!

Now if I can just convince Sam that he really doesn't need to eat an entire package every few days...

What generic products are even more superior to you than their brand-name counterparts?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

One kind of weird one is soy sauce. In my extended family, there's several cases of Celiac disease--a gluten intolerance. Kikkoman soy sauce has wheat in it, so we usually buy the generic brand which doesn't.

Since I've started my couponing adventures, I've really had to check the bottom line prices. Sometimes the generic brands are cheaper than name brand even with a coupon. But sometimes not. Things I would have never bought normally, that I've been able to whittle down the price with coupons to cheaper-than-generic: Laundry Detergent (especially Wisk, All, and Arm and Hammer), body wash (especially Gillette), Colgate toothpaste, Brawny Paper towels, and Cottonelle Toilet Paper.

Lisa said...

Oh, and I was going to mention (sorry to flood your comment box), my skin has become much more sensitive since my pregnancy with Katie. I stopped wearing make-up entirely during my third trimester and have only attempted it a few times since giving birth. So I totally hear you on higher quality make-up! I have some really good arbonne stuff right now, which is okay in small quantities.

Diane said...

You know, we're ones who generally buy generic too. Brad learned while working at good old Macey's that a lot of the generic brands are the name brand with a different label - really. They're packaged at the same place, just labeled differently. They're even shipped in the same box! Especially milk, buy the cheap stuff. It's the same thing! The one item we will NOT compromise on is ranch dressing. I'm sorry, the generic stuff is bleh!