Sam and I have been married for 6 years, and each summer we have the intention of going camping. This is the first summer it has actually happened (not including the summer we worked at a scout camp), starting with that first one-nighter over the 4th of July.
When we planned this little trip to Yellowstone, my brother had just conveniently purchased a trailer, so they wanted to come along. Another brother happened to be available, too, so he came with us. Winston loved having Vance in the back seat with him as company for the long drive to and from and throughout the park.
The early memories of my life blur together, and I can't really figure out what was my first memory. Many of my "memories" I think I've just heard from my parents and siblings enough that I think they are memories. They are probably just memories of the stories I've heard, because I see myself in the story as opposed to seeing the memory from my own eyes.
However, when I think about it, I think my first memories are of my first trip to Yellowstone, when I was just about 3-4 years old--right after those large fires that devastated much of the park. I remember seeing elk hanging out on the front yards of the buildings in Mammoth Hot Springs, and seeing lots of bison in the middle of the road--many with baby calves.
I've been to Yellowstone only twice since then, and enjoyed going again and showing Winston many of the beauties and mysteries of the Earth.
Old Faithful on a rainy day.
See Winston's concerned look? Every time he saw "big booms" (what he called the geysers) up ahead, he got really scared and didn't want to continue walking on his own.
While the photo doesn't really show his excitement, Winston loved being with his cousins on this trip.
First grizzly bears sighting. Too far away to really enjoy it, though.
Walking up to Mammoth Hot Springs.
Enjoying ice cream at Mammoth Hot Springs.
Poor bison was hit by a car (or so we were told); it has a broken back leg.
See the broken leg?
Different set of grizzlies, still quite far away.
Black bear teasing elk.
Overlook of one of many waterfalls.
Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.
Winston called all the white rock "snow," and wouldn't believe it was rock.
We were lucky to see on two different occasions a bison walk into and swim across the river. It was quite the site. Bison are HUGE and they were even fighting the softly-swiftly moving current. All but its nose was under water. This video doesn't do the scene justice--it was awesome and hilarious.
We camped in the Grant Village campground in the park, and the first night I woke up hearing growling--really just my nightmare of a bear in camp. I also dreamed of a bison running in between our tents. Obviously the park workers did a good job of scaring me about not getting near the animals and the close proximity of bears. I slept much better the next two nights, and am very glad there were no bear attacks. :)
We decided to take a little longer way home, and drive through the Grand Tetons National Park, and on through much more scenic roads than I-15 down through Idaho. It was well-worth the extra hour drive. It was beautiful!
So, now I'm tempted to plan a National Park trip every-other-year or so. How about Yosemite and the Redwoods?
Good job on going camping! Yellowstone is beautiful- and it was fun to see you were wearing your girls camp "angel" shirt! I am wearing mine right now, too! best girls camp shirt I ever got. :)
We went to Yellowstone last summer and had a great time too. We took pictures in some of the same spots! We wanted to go camping this summer, but with the new baby it's just not going to happen.
4 comments:
Oh my goodness, so pretty!! I miss the west so much. Definitely go see the redwoods - they are close to my heart! :)
We just got back too! We stayed up in Canyon Lodge and it was fabulous. We were there for 5 days and there were 15 of us. Amazing.
Good job on going camping! Yellowstone is beautiful- and it was fun to see you were wearing your girls camp "angel" shirt! I am wearing mine right now, too! best girls camp shirt I ever got. :)
We went to Yellowstone last summer and had a great time too. We took pictures in some of the same spots! We wanted to go camping this summer, but with the new baby it's just not going to happen.
Post a Comment