Jewkes set to perform with Pops Symphony - by ViAnn Prestwich
The Roosevelt Pops Symphony will seat more than 50 musicians for the March 7 concert to be held at 7 p.m. in the Roosevelt Junior High School auditorium. One of those performers will be Sam Jewkes, a trombone player who has spent the past two years at the University of Northern Colorado earning a master's degree in that particular instrument.
"He is an amazing talent," said symphony director Steve Puro. "He has come here with so much experience; it is wonderful and humbling to direct him and the other professionals that are in our group."
Jewkes himself is humble about his contribution to the upcoming performance. "It's different playing here, with this group," said the young man who only left the university in December. Performing with the Roosevelt Pops - which has participants ranging from eighth-grade students to 80-year-old musicians - is not the same as working with higher education students who are all focused on music.
"I essentially only have to worry about myself and play my part up to par and everyone else does the same," Jewkes said, describing rehearsals with his academic peers. Playing in the Roosevelt Pops Symphony, which was re-established just three years ago, is a different kind of experience for the talented musician.
"When I play with the younger kids I need to worry a little about them," Jewkes said. "I usually try to be nice about my suggestions and not tell them what to do. I say, 'How about trying this,' or 'This works for me.'"
Not only does the Taylorsville native play with the symphony, but he has also performed with the high school band and has agreed to judge the solo ensembles later this month.
Jewkes received his bachelor's degree in music education from Utah State University. He decided to continue his study of the trombone by going to Colorado. "I think that certain people have niches," Jewkes mused, "and music has definitely been my niche in life. This is a way to express myself and feel comfortable expressing myself."
Jewkes is married to Melanie Jewkes, who works for Utah State University Extension as the family and consumer science agent for Duchesne County. "We like the Basin," the musician said. "We enjoy the people a lot. I offered to teach in Duchesne, but the school board didn't finance that position."
Still undecided about his future employment, Jewkes is keeping his trombone skills alive. Plan to hear him and the other musicians in their spring performance.

This picture was included with the following caption: Sam Jewkes plays his trombone in Stillwater Canyon. Jewkes will perform as a member of the Roosevelt Pops Symphony on March 7.
Overall I was pleased with the article, I wish they would have included one more quote from me involving playing with the less-talented musicians, I said that it is different, but still fun--I'm still making music.
2 comments:
Very very very cool. How nice to know that you are the very best the city has to offer. Not very many people get that distinction.
It was a pretty good article I think. Sounds like you're an important member of the musical community there.
Post a Comment