Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Labor & Delivery Details

I find myself thinking back on the labor and delivery as if it were surreal—a dream, perhaps. Did that really happen? Is that how this cute little guy got here?

Here are the details in a timeline-type format (with commentary; warning: long post)

Friday May 8: 36-week checkup. Doctor examination: dilated to a 3. Doc said I wouldn’t make it to June and to make sure to leave our home (1 ½ hours away from the hospital) as soon as I begin having labor pains (which I hadn’t had at all at this point).

Friday May 15: 2pm: 37-week checkup. Doctor examination: dilated to a 5. This was the first time Sam and I had loaded our car with all the necessary stuff: car seat, hospital bags, etc. As I hadn’t had any labor pains (contractions), doctor again suggested it would be a fast labor. He wanted us to stick around the area for the weekend, and come in on Monday morning for another examination before (and if) heading home.

3pm: finally indulged in the b-day present given to me (back in December) from my mom—a pedicure.

5:30pm: went to Purple Turtle with my mom, Darrell, Sam, sister-in-law Jana, and 6 of my nieces and nephews.

6:00pm-9pm: running errands, including buying my mom’s b-day present, looking at blessing outfits at the distribution center and Dressed in White, purchasing a screw and washer for our crib, and going to JC Penney for last-minute needed nursing apparel. Sam made it a point to park as far away as possible so that I walked more.

9:30pm: visiting with sister-in-law and her children before heading to bed.

10:15pm: in bed, looking forward to falling asleep, as I felt I would sleep deeply. The tiredness in my muscles told me I would (ha—not!).

10:30pm: baby kicked me inside and I waited for another kick, when I literally heard a “pop” noise. I thought it was my hip bone, as that occasionally happens, but no sooner did I think “oh, my hip just popped” that I realized it was the water breaking. I said to Sam, “my water just broke, did you hear it?” He also heard the muffled “pop.”

11:00pm: arrived at the Timpanogos Regional Hospital in Orem. Disappointed to learn their one and only natural birth room was taken (that room is like all the others—in addition it has a tub to labor in). Started a few very mild contractions that I could breathe and talk through. After answering medical history questions, etc., was hooked up to monitors and examined: dilated to 7.

11:30pm: Contractions started, and were 2 minutes apart from the beginning.

11:30pm-12:45am: Contractions picked up and intensified. Because I was doing a natural birth, I was able to walk around, get on my hands and knees, lean on a birthing ball, do lunges with the ball, sit in a rocking chair, lean on Sam, etc. It was so nice to be able to move around. During this time Sam helped me breathe and focus through the hardest parts and relax during the short pauses between contractions, while we listened to our playlist of relaxing music made the weeks prior.  I didn’t have monitors on at this time, so I have no idea how close they were—closer than 2 minutes, though.

12:45am: Nurse said they needed to monitor and examine me again. I really didn’t want to lay down on my back, so she had me stand close to the monitoring machines where I could lean on the ball (which was sitting on a chair). Another nurse, who is incidentally training to be a mid-wife, was invited to come check me while I was standing and leaning on the ball. I was dilated to a 9 ½—with just one side of cervix to stretch, and the baby at a 0 position. She left to call the doctor.

12:45am-1:10am: more breathing (and honestly moaning and lots of groaning) through the hardest contractions. I somehow made my way up to the bed, which they positioned like a chair. I faced the back of the bed for a while to hold the back while contracting. I began to feel strong urges to use the restroom. When vocalized, the nurses asked if I needed to push. I didn’t feel like I did, I just wanted to use the toilet. They didn’t let me. They told me that I could just do what I needed on the bed; these urges left when contractions died down.

1:10am-ish: Doctor showed up and started talking to me. He noticed I was resisting pushing, and told me not to kick my legs and stretch, but to pull my legs in. He kept telling me to open my eyes to look at him. I finally did and he talked me through breathing during the pushes while he massaged around the perineum as the baby crowned. I kept resisting the pushing, because of the pain and burning, but the doctor kept saying, “Melanie, look at me. Breathe in, hold and push one, two, three, four…” over and over.  

The breaks between the contractions and pushing felt so nice. My legs were shaking and I was hot and sweaty. Sam and another nurse fanned me with cold packs and cold washcloths. Eventually my hospital gown was taken off at my request (I kept on a sports bra underneath). The heat really bothered me, but helped take my concentration away from the pain and burning as the baby approached.

1:39am: Last push and suddenly there was a messy, purple-y but quickly turning pink, wide-awake little baby on my stomach gazing at my face, making small noises. I helped clean him off as soon as I realized he was there (my mind was a little beside itself for a few moments). What a beautiful sight he was—eyes wide open, lots of dark hair.

All throughout my pregnancy I hoped for a short labor. How grateful I am it was short—perhaps even shorter than anticipated. 3 hours from water breaking to baby on my stomach staring at me. (Only 2 hours from beginning of contractions; and only 30 minutes of pushing).

I’m also glad I was able to go natural. We have a few friends who have been great inspirations for us, and I thought of their recent first births during my labor (one of which was a homebirth and the other a birthing center). Of course not everything went as I anticipated. I did NOT expect pushing to be so challenging—I have heard tons and tons of women say that was the best part for them, but it was really hard to stay focused and positive during that time; I complained a lot. Next time I will better prepare myself for that by practicing more breathing and relaxing techniques. Also, while I did not have an episiotomy, I did tear, but not a lot, and it was actually on the sides in the inside of the vagina—kind of different. I’m glad my doctor was willing (and practices regularly) NOT doing episiotomies unless absolutely necessary, and actually takes time to massage around that area to avoid tears.

I didn’t sleep from the time I woke up Friday morning until Saturday evening. Up until last night, I probably only got 5-6 hours of sleep Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings combined. But amazingly I’m doing very well. I feel great—no pain, and only slight soreness that comes and goes. I was able to walk around very quickly after delivering, and it felt so nice. The recovery has gone really, really well.

And, of course, the best part is having this new little spirit with us. He’s darling and has been so easy to be with. I would rather just watch him than sleep, rather hold him than eat (but we manage to watch him, hold him, eat and kind of get some sleep).

As I gazed at him earlier today, I couldn’t help but think through all I just wrote. It still seems surreal—it happened so fast that it seems it didn’t really happen. How did this bundle of joy plant itself in that bassinet next to our bed?

6 comments:

Amanda Fetters said...

Yay yay yay!!! Oh I am so happy for you guys and glad that everything went so well! Congratulations!

Ashley Breton said...

Glad to hear everything went smoothly and that the doctor and Sam took good care of you. If you are willing and somehow find the time it would be fun to hear how you both felt seeing and holding your beautiful new son for the first time and maybe what it was like to bring the cute little one home.

Anonymous said...

Aww he is so cute. I'm glad everything went quickly and well for you. I'm glad you got to use Timpanogos. My sisters and aunt like that one way better than others in the area.

Kristy said...

Congratulations Melanie and Sam! I'm excited for you! He is a cute one! I think it is great that you documented your labor so well. I'm sure in the future that will be nice to have because it is hard to remember details like that later. I like the name you picked out too!

Kristy

Lisa said...

So happy, and so exciting! And, I am SO jealous. :) In a really good way.

Jillian said...

Good work Mel! You have an incredibly positive birth story, and your attitude is what made the difference I can tell. Who was your doctor anyhow? He sounds very supportive of your desired birth plan.