It's been a good experience for us. Life has calmed down dramatically since we moved to the Salt Lake Valley (we're not on the road as much), which makes it easier to do this.
I gleaned some information off of a variety of websites and blogs and then we started our adventures in baby food making.
It's really just as easy as:
Since W. started eating solids around Thanksgiving, we've done this to: sweet potatoes, peas, pears, apples, carrots, acorn and butternut squash, peaches, green beans, etc. They easily combine together or with oatmeal, rice, wheat, or noodles.
We've saved a lot of money by just cooking and pureeing food we have (or can easily get). For example, we spent less than $1.50 on a couple of sweet potatoes, and made 2 ice-cube trays worth, which will last weeks, rotated with other foods.
Another benefits is that when I lick his spoon when he's done and there's only a teensy bit left, it actually has a good flavor and texture, rather than bland guck that comes in a baby food jar. I've had a good share of funny looks when people see me licking baby food off my fingers or the spoons and bowls. It's funny.
I read just the other day that making your own baby food helps babies get used to eating your family's variety of foods, so hopefully it will ease him into our diet smoothly.
It is really quite easy and not at all time consuming. The only side effect is calming Winston before, during and after the ruckus of the food processor. Poor little one.
4 comments:
Yay for homemade baby food! With my kids, I didn't keep them on just purees for very long. When you give them table food that you've prepared for them to eat, like you're doing, there isn't any transition to an adult diet...you just gradually introduce a few new items here and there, and gradually decrease the mashiness of all of it, and eventually they're eating what you're eating. It's amazing! I wish potty training were so easy...
That is what we did for Jaren too. He loved it. I used to make a pot roast with carrots and seasonigs and puree it too. Or chicken. You should try it when he's ready for meat!
Way to be--I'm impressed! I saw my sister use the ice cube tray ones (butternut squash) to put in hot soup for the kidlets one time too. It's healthy, but doesn't make it all watered down and bland.
You guys are so creative. Props to you!
I like that idea!!
Post a Comment