Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Mount Olympus: Oh the Agony

Sam and his friend hiked Mt. Olympus (a peak just up the Wasatch front in Salt Lake City) last Saturday in their fastest time yet, 1 hour 48 minutes up and 1 hour and 30 minutes down. He decided to take his younger brother, Jacob, and me (with Winston, too), up the hike yesterday.

I debated whether to go, because it has been a while since I've done some cardiovascular exercising and strength training. But I let Sam talk me into it, telling him that I would be going a nice, slow pace.

We started about 4:00 pm. It's only a 3 1/2 mile hike up, but it is up, up, up the whole way and the last 1 1/2 miles is straight up--like a staircase of rocks. It is intense. And that's almost an understatement. My body and heart felt great the whole way up, but about 1/2 mile from the top my legs were screaming.

It took us until a little after 7:00 pm to reach the top. I actually stayed with Winston just down a little bit from the tippy-top, but Sam and Jacob scurried up all the way about 100 more feet above us. The elevation climb is 4000 ft from parking lot to top of trail.

I enjoy hiking. I like to get out and see the beauty around us. I like to challenge myself a bit. But this is probably not a hike I will do again.

My legs were wobbling all the way down the hike and then I was hit with a bout of altitude sickness. I had to keep stopping to rest and to consider vomiting. It was the worst feeling ever. I would have stopped to rest for a longer period, but we were racing with the sunset and darkness, so I had to keep pushing along.








We made it to the car just as light was disappearing. Despite the seizing legs from the hike, today I am surprisingly not sore, besides a little knee pain that comes my way after running or hiking.

Now I can only think of all the "hard" hikes that now seem much easier compared to Mount Agony Olympus.

2 comments:

The Monson Family said...

Wow! You go girl; I am not that type of hiker. I like to hike as long as it's not too hard. Gary would never have convinced me to attempt that hike. Way to go for finishing!

julie said...

Way to go Melanie!! Thats awesome! I love hikes and you inspire me...that one sounds like a killer though and one that I definatly won't do...BUT the sunset was amazing and almost made we re-think never going on it...I said ALMOST though...lol