For some reason, I always anticipate making jam to be more of a project than it really is.
The other night I whipped up a batch of no-sugar-needed strawberry jam. I had some leftover, so I added some peaches and whipped up a batch of no-sugar-needed strawberry/peach jam. We baked some rolls we had in the freezer and enjoyed some fresh bread with fresh, homemade jam. It was a yummy treat.
Bytheway, if any of you are planning on doing some canning later this season, I'd stock up on your supplies now. Part of my job deals with educating the community on safe canning procedures, and I'll tell you there is a higher demand for home canning classes this year and last year than some years before. It's a growing trend, possibly due to the economy and the growing desire to be "green" and eat local. I noticed the other day that one store was already out of no-sugar-needed pectin. Last year my sister-in-law searched all over town for canning jars when she was bottling her cherries.
And, if you're interested in more information, welcome in the canning season by checking out these sites: extension.usu.edu/foodpreservation or homefoodpreservation.com
No comments:
Post a Comment