Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Had to Have It, But Do I Really?

Just before my senior year in high school, I paid (or maybe my mom paid) full price for a gorgeous shirt and skirt at American Eagle. A few weeks later, they were discounted to much, much less than I originally paid. Ever since then, I can't recall a time I have actually paid "full price" for clothing. It kind of makes me sick to think about doing so, especially when there are so many other things I want to do with my money.

Instead, I browse the clearance and sale sections and avoid rows that aren't marked down. Often, it pays off. Like today I finally got a pair of jeans I've been hunting for--that actually fit comfortably!--for $10.50 (regularly $50). Yeah, awesome deal, I know. And they rock.


A few weeks ago, I walked past a cream-colored shirt that just called to me. It literally said, "Hey! Take a closer look at me, I know you'll like me!" And then I saw it's dark teal sister. I love it. Nothing totally special, but I had to have it. It was regularly $40, on sale for around $30-35. I couldn't do it. Not when I really would like some boots, and I really need a couple new bras, and the list goes on.

So, I've been watching it closely. If I drive by Kohl's, I'll stop to see if it is cheaper. I've probably checked on it 3-5 times in the last couple of weeks. The supplies have been dwindling; less sizes to choose from; and no price drop.

Then I got a coupon for 30% off an entire purchase (Kohl's rocks, bytheway, almost as much as Target...almost), and the ad showed that brand would be on sale.

I tugged Winston with me today (as I usually do) and finally bought it. It was down to $25, but I had 30% off, which makes it $17.50 (honestly still more than I typically spend; I'm cheap, what can I say?). I had to have it, you know? Few things call out to me like this.

And now I've got you all worked up. It's really nothing special, really. See?

Now there's a problem. They were out of my size, but another store in the area has it.

And I just now thought to look at the care label. Hand wash only (because of the tiny beads). Oh brother!

Did I mention that I have a cute little almost-18-month old? He drools a lot, wipes boogers on my shoulder a lot, and other random Winston-mostly-ate-that particles are always ending up on my shoulder.

I'm not gonna put forth the effort to wash it, by hand!, every time I wear it. And as much as Sam helps out, I don't think he'd be too keen on the idea either. Ho hum...I think I might take this not-the-right-size-anyway totally-awesome shirt back. After all of the effort...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I have a couple items that are hand wash only and most of the time I forget and throw them in with the clothes. I know you're not SUPPOSED to do that, but really I haven't noticed anything wrong with the clothes afterwards. But it's hard to say if maybe it will show up later and be totally ruined...we'll see.

Jessica said...

Going with what Melissa said, I do the same but use a mesh laundry bag to protect lace/beads/clasps from getting rubbed/yanked too much in the wash. And I use Woolite. My parents' washing machine actually has a "hand wash" setting that is one notch down from the delicate setting, but otherwise I use the delicate setting.