In September, I attended a national conference to present but also to receive an award, the national and western region new professional award. Basically, it is given to a professional who demonstrates excellence within the first 3 years of employment.
I was excited to receive it, of course, especially because they gave me $500 toward getting to the conference. I'm also very pleased because I work part-time, and I feel this award is a huge step and shout out to women and moms that work part-time. We don't have to be underdogs after all.
I have to admit, though, that the ceremony was boring. I was seated at a table with other winners, and small talk can only go so far, ya know? The MCs read a short paragraph about each winner, and it took FOR-EV-ER! I was one of the first to be announced, and it sure dragged after that. And not just for me; I got the vibe that the whole room was tired. I ran into some conference attendees on my way out that didn't attend and toured around Portland, instead. I don't blame them; I would have ditched if I weren't being recognized. I think all award ceremonies are long and boring.
Except for maybe the Oscars and the Tony's. But at these ceremonies, the winner isn't known until they are announced. Much more exciting.
The ceremonies I've attended lack excitement (aside from the food served prior or after). At these, you're given a program with a list of the awards and the winners. And then you sit and clap one after another after another after another as the winners go up and awkwardly pose for a photo. Like this:
![]() |
| Western Region Winner |
And like this:
![]() |
| National Winner |
I'll likely attend future award ceremonies. And I'm sure I'll survive the boredom, again, don't you worry.


4 comments:
Amen! You'd think by now they would have come up with a way to make these things interesting. Hmm...gets me thinking...
I think we have all sat through too many boring awards ceremonies but congratulations anyway! I hope you enjoyed your moment in the spotlight! It was worth it for the trip to Maine, right?
Way to go, Melanie! Sorry it was such a drag, however. Did you get a chance to tour Portland after the conference?
Yes, I did tour around Maine (though before the conference). I loved it! Maine is a beautiful state.
Post a Comment