Sunday, November 7, 2010

It's Done: A Project for Winston's Room

I originally got this idea from this awesome book Domino: The Book of Decorating. I finally got to work on it this week after my sister-in-law Tallie went with me to a cool little store that sells a bunch of different types of wood letters.

I originally wanted it to be more like the one highlighted in Domino (pg 233, if you have it), with bold, dramatically mismatched letters, but the store didn't have as many options (although they do have lots of options).

This is what we picked out:

And with some stuff I had hanging out in my scrapbooking supplies, some time tracing, cutting, painting, cutting some more, and embellishing, this is how it turned out:



Way cute, huh? And I didn't spend more than $20.

This has given me the crafty bug, and I'm itching to print some photos to get into scrapbooking after a 7-year or so hiatus. 

Oh, and don't look too closely. I didn't sand the wood, and I probably should have. After painting a few, I sanded the "t" before painting it and decided it was a good decision not to sand the others. Sanding takes FOREVER and it's messy. And I don't have the ambition to do so.  That's another reason why I don't really sew...I don't have the patience to sit and measure twice and pin and pin, which means I unpick more than I would have if I had taken time to be precise. Fortunately, with these letters, you can't tell unless you're up really close. I like shortcuts.

5 comments:

the Danosaur said...

This is AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

THAT is SOOOO DANG CUTE!!!! I have letters for all my kids' names (although they aren't as cute as Winston's letters) but this totally gave me some ideas on how to embellish them. Now I want to finish those projects!! Thanks :D

Melissa said...

very cute!!! I also have my boys names in letters...if that makes sense. Anyway, I may have to embleish them as well! That'll be fun!

The Monson Family said...

So cute. I have looked everywhere here for cute letters, but I haven't found any that cute!

Mandy said...

So cute!! You did such a good job!! I love it. Winston is so big! He is adorable.
I have been meaning to comment on your house...I love it!! I love all your colors, and what colors you put together!