Friday, November 26, 2010

I'm the Black Friday Grinch

Yesterday was a rough day. Winston was ornery. He wouldn't eat, he wouldn't sleep, he wouldn't go to anyone but me, and didn't really want to be with me, either. Thankfully his fever was gone, but he was one grumpy bug.

On our way home from my mom's pie night (this year we had 16 different pies to choose from, in case you were wondering), I thought about Black Friday and how I had no desire to stand in line (outside or inside), fight crowds and lose sleep for items I don't even really care much about. 

I casually glanced through some ads throughout the day, and listened to my sister-in-law's plan of attack, jumping from one store to another from 10 PM last night to 5 AM this morning. Have a fun with that.

Sam and I discussed a few items, but both agreed we'd go to the store when we got up and ready in the morning and if they were out of stock, oh well. In my mind I planned a post about how I'm totally the Black Friday Grinch. 

That all changed at 2 AM this morning.

It's not what you think. I did not get up at 2 to go shopping. That's just madness. 

I got up at 2 to go see why Winston was suddenly screaming bloody murder. Of course he stopped when I picked him up, and cried for almost 30 minutes straight after I cuddled him and placed him back in his crib.

After trying all--snuggling, nursing, bringing him in bed with us, giving him a drink and some food--at 4 AM, Winston still would not go back to sleep. He was wide awake, and wanted to eat, and read books, and pretend like it was 8 AM. Even though he didn't fall asleep the night before until 10:30. How does an 18-month old think that 3 1/2 hours of sleep is equivalent to a full night's rest? So. Not. Cool.

So, here we are, our little home all lit up and bright and awake at 4 AM. Hmm, might as well see if Target.com has the same deals as the store. And they sort of did. And while we're awake, I'll just send Sam to Home Depot to get his own Christmas present. Away Sam went, while I debated the Target.com purchases. I called Sam to tell him the final price, and he suggested we just go later to Target, because that would be a better deal. 

It's 5 AM. We're all awake. Why wait?

The Target parking lot was a mess, and by the time we pulled in, Winston was asleep (mumblemumble, grumblegrumble). I ran into the store while Sam drove around.

Did I mention the craziness and madness associated with Black Friday? And a KSL news van pulled up as I walked in. I hope I don't end up on the news, bah hum bug. The line for checkout snaked through the whole store, doubling up on itself multiple times. I'm never gonna get out of here. But I'm here. Might as well see if the stuff still is.

And it was. And it was easy to find. And as a bonus, the item I was buying was held at the jewelry counter and only people buying that item were allowed to wait in line at the jewelry counter. Sweet!

So, it was in and out for me. After promotional Target gift cards, I spent the same amount I would have online, but I got 2 additional items from our Christmas list. Not too shabby.

But I'm not sold. I don't want it to become a tradition (the image of that snaking line keeps coming back to me).

Winston, of course, woke up as soon as we got home. After lots of pleading, investigating, fighting, tears, and snot smeared everywhere, he is finally asleep. For how long? I'm not sure. I think I'll crash in the mean time. 2 1/2 hours of sleep is definitely not enough for me, as a momma, to function happily--even with the good deals.

Good night to all...errr, good morning.


This is for me. Nothing at all to do with the post. It's just to remind me what a silly, cute little guy we have. He was insistent the other day that he run around with no pants and his shoes.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm giggling at you, in the nicest way. I love the image of the snaking checkout line. I'm glad it's eight am and we are just starting breakfast. We will probably go out after that. Good luck to us all! Try and take a nap! ;)

julie said...

I am with you...I despise the Black Friday Maddness and refuse to do it as well...BUT they do have some good deals out there when you are lucky enough to find them before someone else does. I would just as soon pay a little more and avoid the stress! I hope that Winston is feeling better soon. Its no fun to have sick kids...but especially through the holidays.

Merrilee said...

I think I am the biggest Black Friday grinch! Kaitlyn had a rough Thanksgiving too. She had a fever and slept through dinner :( Although she was very mellow and cuddly- not grumpy. I hope Winston is feeling better!

Melissa said...

I've gone back and forth on whether it is worth my time and energy and lack of sleep to go shopping at such a rediculous time with TONZ of other rediculous crazy people. This year NO WAY, most years NO WAY, but I have done it and gotten GREAT deals and actually had a little fun as well. I just say, to each his own.