Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Heading to Maine

Next week Winston and I leave for Maine. I'm giving a presentation and also receiving an award at a national conference. I'm excited to go, but I can't help thinking about one thing.

Maine is far away. How will I entertain an almost 16 month old on such a long airplane ride?

Any suggestions on how to keep him from thrashing in my lap and trying to crawl down the isle would be greatly appreciated. What are some good toys, snacks, activities, etc. to keep him busy and me (and the people sitting around me) sane?

7 comments:

Jentry said...

Congrats on the award! Is it for being the coolest person ever? As for the plane ride-it might be time to invest in a portable DVD player. Your sanity is worth it.

Amanda Fetters said...

Ooh, exciting! Congrats on the award - I want to know what it's for, too (though the coolest person ever thing is a very real possibility). For us, lots and lots and lots of stickers (like the teacher award kind you can get a zillion of for $1) have worked miracles. Also lots of cheapie toys from the dollar store - pull out a new one every so often. Treats without restriction - things he never gets to have - L loves the mini cartons of Oreos or goldfish. And I have no problem admitting that I have given my children Benadryl on some such occasions. It doesn't put them to sleep, but it definitely has a sedating effect. Despite all that, there always comes a point on every plane ride that goes beyond treats and toys and they completely melt down. It's probably going to happen - but the flight is finite, right? :)

Jillian said...

We had the twins and my other sister's baby all under the age of two flying with us last summer when we came back from NY. My suggestion would be to make sure to have a separate group of items (toys and food/snacks) for the plane entertainment versus the "in the airport" entertainment. This keeps things changing a different for the little guy. It also helps you be prepared for delays. Our plane was delayed for almost three hours... my sisters had the toughest time with it since all their snacks for the flight were gone before it even started. Made for a long ride home...

julie said...

Congrats on the award! You ARE an amazing lady!!!
We only flew once with a little one. I took things like the dipping "cheese and crackers" that are wrapped individually, things that he can eat and take a long time eating. We took books, new toys, I agree with "A."....things that he doesn't normall get to have. Anything new and interesting will keep his attention. Hopefully it will be during part or most of a nap time and he will sleep for part of the journey. Good luck and have fun. Congrats again!!

Jessica G. said...

Maine! Cool! How exciting :) I don't have many tips since I don't have little ones, but I kind of like the Benadryl idea (along with the obvious toys & snacks) just to keep him a little more mellow. Good luck! Have fun! Take lots of pictures!

The Monson Family said...

Congrats on the award! BTW, I would remember an extra set of clothes for both of you! Let's just say that coming back from Ut in June was quite an experience!

Merrilee said...

If DVDs will keep him busy you are welcome to borrow our portable player and some movies. I usually get a bunch of surprises at the dollar spot at Target. Treats like dum dums work pretty good since they last a while. Hopefully you end up sitting next to a nice grandma that loves toddlers! Good luck though and if he screams oh well. You won't ever see any of those people again.