| Portland Headlight. The bus stopped here, even though we came a few days ago. |
While walking around Portland, we discovered some cute shops, including Coastal Maine Popcorn Co., that has over 30 kinds of flavored popcorn--like dill pickle, Maine maple, southwestern cheddar, black licorice, etc. I'm planning on going back when Sam gets here.
| Looking out at the bay from inside the ferry ride; surrounded by my colleagues who are all so friendly with Winston. |
There are all sorts of fun places to eat. I guess Maine was recently named the "foodiest" place in America. Tons and tons of locally-owned eateries that use local ingredients. Very green. I like that.
After a couple of business meetings with my association and giving my own presentation on mentoring new professionals, my mom and I went on a self-guided walking tour of the Portland Freedom Trail. It highlights known locations of the underground railroad and abolitionist movements here in Portland. My mom really enjoyed it and kept saying, "I want to find a book to read about this." Sometimes I think my mom (who is a nurse by profession) should have become a history scholar.
| Super old cemetery where many of the abolitionists are buried. Many gravestones you can't even read. |
I'm actually really enjoying this conference. It is the National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (NEAFCS). Everyone (virtually) here works in the same job I do somewhere in the country. There are over 800 of us here, and it is really nice to have workshops made exactly for my job, whereas other conferences I've been to deal with only one aspect of my job. And I must say, if I never have before, that I really do love my job, and it is always fun to be around others who also love what we do.
No comments:
Post a Comment