Anyway, that memory came to me after these next thoughts, and is kind of unrelated, but interesting.
I thought to myself today while eating this pita stuffed with yum-ness: "This is totally adult food."
| Feta cheese, red onion, cucumbers, radishes, tomatoes, green pepper, & cilantro with oil/vinegar dressing. |
I never would have tasted this pita-filling as a tween. Well, maybe. But I'm sure I would have pitched a fit about it. Just hand me my mac & cheese, thank you very much (actually, I still love mac & cheese). And now, as an adult, I notice there are certain "adult" foods, like dark chocolate. Nuts. Sourdough and artisan breads. Cheeses beyond cheddar or jack. What are some more you would (or wouldn't) consider?
And then, of course, there are the classics that don't discriminate against age. Popcorn. Brownies. Peanut butter. Ice cream. Fresh fruit. Potatoes. Snickers bar or M&Ms.
Speaking of which, I think I may have an addiction to Pretzel M&Ms. I snatched a few bags from the Target Christmas Clearance and my hand goes on auto pilot (I can't seem to stop it) to the bag every time I open the pantry. Good thing Sam doesn't care for them,
2 comments:
I definitely hear you on things that are "adult" and "kid." I personally try hard not cater to these kinds of stigmas too much. I think we all eat healthier when I do--like "adultifying" the kid foods like chicken nuggets (yes, I make my own, with real chicken lightly breaded and baked) and "kidifying" the adult foods, like using milder seasonings in my chili. I make one, healthy meal for dinner, then I don't let the kids have anything else. It reduces pickiness, and helps me remember to cook healthy and safe for all members of my family.
I have a lot of food that I LOVE but I can't get my boys to even try it. I do the whole, make a meal for the family and don't let the boys have something else, but it still doesn't work. Sometimes they just go hungry... well untill I give in and make pb&j... ok that doesn't help. But there are things that I have made several times, even though the boys didn't like it, and eventually they eat it and even like it. I'm not the best about food choices sometime, but I love this thread and the thought invoking food topic!
Post a Comment