Thursday, January 27, 2011

Who Am I Not?

It's fairly easy to tell who a person is by, well...who they are. What they do. What they believe. How the spend their time. And, of course, you can also tell a lot about a person by what they don't do. What they don't believe. How they don't spend their time.

A few things have come to my attention lately that have left me thinking, "I am definitely not that kind of person."

So, just who am I not? (the song, Who Am I from Les Mis keeps going through my head) 


* I am not one to get irritated very easily. People in my office sometimes refer to me as "the easy-going one." Not that I've always been this way, but lately it takes a lot to get me annoyed. Along with that, I'm not much of a complainer. Sure, every now and then I need a good venting (who doesn't?), but it's not something I do very often.

* I am not really a fan. Did anyone else notice all the facebook statuses (stati?) about BYU and Jimmer yesterday? Yeah, I don't really know much nor do I care much about sports. I like to play them, but I don't cheer for any, really. And, I've never been a celebrity fan, either, or a TV-show fan (except for LOST, thanks to Sam). I never had to have the latest whoever's album. In fact, if you were to ask me my favorite movie star, I don't have one. Or my favorite music album...don't really have one, either. I like movies. I like songs. I just am not a die-hard fan of any one or more.

* I am not a concert attendee. Unless the concert is less rock/pop-y and more like the ones my husband plays in. I've been to a few big concerts. Like Matchbox 20 when I was around 14 years old. I attended another concert with numerous artists when I was probably 15, but the only one I can remember is Shaggy (yes, Shaggy; do you remember that Amber? And can't you all just see me rocking out to Shaggy...haha...riiight). Maybe that's why I'm not a fan of concerts? Oh, and Counting Crows, once, too. That one wasn't that bad. But really, though, I don't like concerts. They give me migraine headaches with all the flashing lights and loud music and fighting for my personal space (or wishing I could sit and enjoy instead of standing the whole time).

* I am not much of a kid person. I mentioned this once before (PS...last November I was put in the young women's program...again...and Sundays are much less stressful). I don't hate kids by any means, but I just don't have a natural knack for how to interact with them, like a lot of other people I know. I watch the people who conduct the library toddler programs and think, "wow, how do they do that so naturally?" It takes a lot of effort on my end, and by the end of the day with Winston, I am totally exhausted!

* I am not one to spend a lot of money on full-priced items. But I could be. Oooohh, I could be. I would love to have a brand spankin' new car, but I'll take a slightly older model to save a few thousand dollars. I would love to go into a kid's clothing store and not look for the sale and clearance racks, but I'm not that kind of person. Sometimes I daydream about letting myself on just one little pretend-not-to-be-on-a-budget shopping spree, but then I remember all the reasons why we have a tight budget and I'm okay with not buying full-priced items (and, of course, when you get totally awesome stuff for really cheap, it's even that much more exciting!).

So, there you have it. A little bit about who I am not.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

love it! That just makes me think about geology and how in that science sometimes we can't say the "what it is" but only the "what it is not". That can get frusterating, but there is ALOT you can learn from it. hmmm I sure like this line of thinking. I may make my own thread of who I am not.. and some of that is changing as we speak (or as I write).