Monday, July 5, 2010

For the Sunbeams

A little over a week ago, I was asked by our new bishop and 2nd counselor to teach the sunbeams in our church primary. I've never been one to state my feelings right away, and knowing how difficult it always is to get a stable teacher for the 3-4 year olds, I said I'd do it (as long as I had a partner to teach with).

I allowed myself that day only to moan and groan about it. At one point Sam said something about how I should stop complaining about it, and I said, "Just give me today to do so, and then I'll be better." And I have been (by basically avoiding all conversation about it).

Yesterday was my first day on the job. I really was putting forth an effort to smile and look friendly and pleasant, but apparently my efforts were null and void.

The primary president said to me, "I can tell you've been in primary before, because you know the songs. But I can't help noticing that you look miserable."

Oops.

So I tried to put forth more of an honest effort to smile and talk happily to the youngins.

Then the other sunbeam teacher said to me at one point, "Uh-oh, you look like you're scared of these kids."

Double oops.

But I'll be honest. I don't do well with kids. Never have. Give me a baby and I'll snuggle and love them. Put me with 9-11year olds and I'll have some fun conversations with them. But put me in front of children ages 3-4 and ask me to teach/entertain/play with/discipline? Maybe one-on-one, but 7-14 of them? Yikes! Can't I just smile at them, tell them how cute they look, give a hug, and go on my merry little way?

Here's to HUGE self pep talks every Sunday morning.

6 comments:

Amanda Fetters said...

WOOHOO Sunbeams. I have never been comfortable with little kids, either. As Lizzy gets older, my comfort level grows with her. Good luck - I know you'll adjust well and rise to meet the challenge! :)

Melissa said...

You'll get used to it. It does get easier, especially as you get to know the kids and how to deal with them (which also takes time). You can learn from my mistake, I'll say first that I was pregnant and all by myslef, but I yelled at the kids for not listening. I think I cried too, but afterwards they listened to me and were pretty good. Also, don't try to get too much of a lesson in, they won't get it all, just make it fun for all of you and it'll get better. OK, sorry for all the advise, I just have been there... good luck!

Candi Merritt said...

You are not alone! It's especially hard to do the disciplining when they aren't your own child, I think. When I taught the Sunbeams my fear was that they would go home and tell their parents how mean their teacher was. At least with that age you can get away with coloring when the lesson isn't going well:)

The Monson Family said...

It's funny how different people are. I LOVE teaching the young ones. I was a sunbeam teacher for a while in our ward before we moved here to MS, and I LOVED it! I'm now in YWs and that is SO hard for me.

Laura said...

Melanie, they put me in the CTR 4 class a couple of months ago. I was a little taken back since my kids are all OLD now. However, I have decided to roll with it. Most of the time I just laugh at the kids. They totally and completely crack me up. They say silly things and they tell me things their parents would die if they knew they did. It is a challenge but I take it all in stride and I'm thankful I'm not in RS with those know-it-alls. lol My advice...Just laugh (or smile).

Jillian said...

I had the 4-5 year old class for quite a while, and (as Primary music leader) got to observe the sunbeams for two years straight. Nice thing is that they grow up faster than any other group in junior or senior primary. They'll be like a mission is to many--the hardest and the best at the same time with many ups and downs, but in the end you won't want to change any of it. And if not... I'll keep praying for you that it will still be amazing because you are :)