Sunday, January 2, 2011

Certainly Uncertainty

2011--can you believe it? Christmas has come and gone. My 26th birthday has come and gone. New Year's Day has come and gone. My, oh my, how time is no respecter of anyone or anything.

I don't want to go back to the real world tomorrow, and yet if I kept going on food binges and trips up and down for family parties I might just be sick (nothing against good food and good company...there's just a need for routine, you know?).

I'm not really one who writes a huge list of new year's resolutions. Not that I don't believe in them, it's just that a new year is not really different to me than a the start of a new semester, the start of Summer or Winter, or a new calling in church, or a new aspect of a job. The new year is a time right after a two-week binge of shopping, traveling, and eating treats (way too many treats), a time that I use to unwind and jump back into our routine.

I try to be one that evaluates my goals and habits on a more frequent basis and makes adaptations accordingly, all through the year. I'm also one who doesn't commit to something unless I know I can do it, which has good aspects, of course, but can also be limiting. I notice Winston is like this, too, which makes me more aware of how I'm like that. For example, Winston never even tried to walk, until he could do it just perfectly.

So, at the beginning of this year as people all around me are making new year's resolutions, I'm keeping up the pep-talks and habits of goals already laid out. I'm also contemplating what 2011 has in store.

This year will be the first year without major changes, at least if things continue as expected. No job changes, no moving our home, just moving onward. Winston will be two (two!!) years old this year, I'll have a major review at work, and on and on.

But really, who knows? The year ahead has its own bag full of certainties and uncertainties. And, of course, the only thing certain is...well, you know how the saying goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel Melanie!! I hope 2011 is absolutely wonderful for you and your cute family! I can't believe Winston will be 2!! Wow! Congrats on your work promotion, that sounds great!