Sunday, June 19, 2011

Honey Do Lists: Checked Off and Moving On

I always knew having a home would mean lots of time (and money) spent on fixing and maintenance. I don't think I realized it wasn't just on things that were broken (like last year's sprinkler valve), but on things we want to create and/or improve.

Thanks to Sam, we're able to do a lot of this within our budget. He is so great about taking the hammer in is own hands and just getting to work. I only need to keep him focused on one task (or he has too many projects at once and is too distracted), and stay out of his way. I too often think I know better how to start or finish something, when really I have no idea. Just let the man work, is what I need to do.

After a year of being in our home and finishing things more important, Sam started finishing the deck. We lucked out and got the wood on a closeout sale for a third of the price.

Before it was a fine deck, just incomplete. And a tad bit dangerous for little ones.

Sam's dad and brother (and nephew) came to get Sam started. He finished it the next day.

After. Now Winston won't walk right off (not that he did...now he just won't).

Aww. Now we can actually use the deck.

Among some other tasks that have been keeping Sam busy is the back yard. It's pretty icky, with lots of weeds and rocks.

We did turn one huge section into a garden.

Yes, there are like 20 tomato plants. And 12 pepper plants. I will be eating and canning lots of salsa.

Check out these turnips and salad greens!


We've been enjoying fresh-from-the-garden spinach for a couple of weeks now. We even had it on homemade pizza Friday evening. Yum! We just finished our last radishes. Boy, they were sharp and yummy. We're going to have a lot of fun this summer with our produce.

Yum....fresh radishes.
It's awesome to have Sam around. And not just because he weeds the garden. He's a great man, husband, and father. Happy Father's Day, Sam. Love you and stuff.

No comments: