Monday, June 27, 2011

Houston, We Have a Problem

I flew into Houston for a conference. It's nice that I'm actually just attending and not presenting. I didn't have to worry about packing handouts, presentation supplies, etc., and I didn't have to pack professional clothing that wrinkles easily. The last three conferences Winston came along, and I had oodles of baby stuff to carry.

This time, I only had to check one bag and carry on only my purse. Aww. My back and shoulders felt great.

I got off the plane and waited a little impatiently for the baggage claim thingy to spit out my bag.

I waited and waited. Each black suitcase looked like mine until I all but grabbed it and realized it wasn't mine.

I thought about how I've never once been victim to missing luggage (well...once when we checked in too early, but it was there in a storage room). I knew I had transferred flights, so maybe my luggage was put on the plane first, before those who checked in. So I waited.

I waited some more.

Then I realized that blue duffle bag had passed a few times and there were no new bags coming.

I asked the nearest airline employee who was grabbing that blue duffle bag if that was the last bag from that flight.

Yep.

She recommended I check in at the baggage claim desk and file a report.

Report filed.

I had to report two things in my bag. Umm...a white shirt? Finally I could recall two obvious things. She asked where to deliver it and handed me a paper with a summary of the report. They would leave it at the bell desk of the hotel and call me when it gets there.

When would it come? She seemed pretty confident it would come during the night.

On my way to the hotel, I prepared myself for the "what-if" it didn't come. What store would be open before my 8:30AM conference? I couldn't wear jean capris to the conference. If I could just find some slacks or a skirt, then I could go shopping during lunch and after the first day. My mind looped through where I could buy makeup that my skin won't be sensitive to, a curling iron, etc. What about underclothing? As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints who has been through the temple, I wear special temple garments as underclothing (click here for more information). They are only available in special stores. I had Sam check online to see if Houston had a store, and they did. Good to know.

Then I realized the airlines would probably compensate me for some losses...maybe I could get a new computer since my laptop was in my checked bag? Hmmm...shopping for new stuff could be fun.

I knew all along, though, that the bag would turn up. I just hoped it would be during the evening. Thanks to the housekeeping, I didn't even have to go to bed with un-brushed teeth.

I woke up with a start at 4:something AM. No missed call on my phone. No message on the hotel phone. I got a little worried, and hoped they didn't keep their we'll-call-you promise because it was the middle of the night.

In the morning, I dressed in same clothes I traveled half-way across the country in (eww...) and heading down to the lobby.

HOORAY! They had my bag. It had been delivered about 2AM.

So, no shopping for a week's worth of new clothing for me (sigh), thankfully!

1 comment:

Amanda Fetters said...

Oh my gosh, I'm so glad your bag finally came! What a relief!