![]() |
| >> |
My History of Running
In elementary school I looked forward to junior high track and always thought I'd be a runner, just like my mom and my brothers. But it turned out my dance practices were the same time as track. And later when they weren't, I wasn't really interested any longer.
I slowly got into running my first summer living in Logan. I loved running around campus, through the cemetery, with the canyon nearby and the huge trees lining most streets. Logan is beautiful! It was a perfect way to de-stress and focus on what I really wanted to do with my life.
![]() |
| Winborg's painting of sledding on Old Main Hill. |
And then I moved away from a pool, to a neat little town that only had a pool open in the summer time. I was bummed. I tried running once or twice, but my knees still protested. I referred to work-out videos, biking, and walking, and enjoyed all I could of summer lap-swim times.
Then Winston came along and yoga became my favorite form of exercise and stress-relief. I lost a few pounds, too, and decided I'd try running again. It was great for the first 2 weeks of running, until...you guessed it...my knees gave out. But this was a different kind of pain--and NOT a better pain. I guess I had figured that my knee pain was because of my weight, and since I lost some, I figured I'd be ready run.
My sports-medicine-doctor brother gave me exercises to do that I (kind of) did, but I basically just decided against running. Until about 12 weeks ago.
Back to the Present
At the beginning of August, I got an email from the state office of a program I supervise. They were going to include a 5K run/walk in our annual training meeting. Cool, I thought. My colleagues and I often giggle and/or roll eyes about the contradiction of the food we eat during conferences and how sedentary we are--even though we are learning about nutrition and physical activity. I knew I should not walk, but run this.
![]() |
| Training schedule I used (I actually started at week 3, and that worked well for me). |
So, today I took part in a very relaxed, go-as-you-will 5K run/walk. I ran the entire time, and finished 3 miles (not quite a full 5K) in 28:26.



1 comment:
Great job! Soon you will be doing marathons with the rest of us!
Post a Comment