Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Room Makeover (because it's been a whole year!)

A little more than a year ago, we finished multiple projects in our home, including Winston's room.


The green in his room is not what I was expecting (more spring-green instead of the grass-green; I learned from this new project that the difference is likely because the sample was satin and darker than the semi-gloss of the same paint--good to remember for future painting projects). I've been planning other things ever since we finished. But I was definitely DONE with painting for the time being.

One year later, I was ready for a change. So, up went some tape. We measured and marked about four places down the wall for each tape strip to do our best to make the lines straight.


I originally had planned for less green, but decided I didn't want to tape twice. We taped with a thin painters tape to allow thin green stripes between the colors.

Then, we painted over the edge of the tape to seal the edges, so that if any paint seeped under the tape it would be the color we wanted to be under the tape. This was a HUGE time saver and made the stripes more crisp. This technique works well when taping anything--ceilings, moulding, walls of different colors, etc.



Then we painted the other colors (which happened to be leftovers from other rooms in our house).



We removed the tape and Ta-Da! Pretty awesome--with only a few smudges.



I then took a tiny paint brush to fix the obvious smudges. There are others I couldn't really fix easily because of the bumpy texture of the wall, but you really can't tell unless you step really close. This took longer than I thought, but sealing the tape made it less than it would have been otherwise.



We decided there was too much green space, so we taped again to paint more dark blue. My sister-in-law suggested doing light blue, and we agreed. After some debate with paint samples, I decided on one that worked well (and all we needed was the small sample bottle--$3, baby!).

We painted some more, took down tape, touched up the few smudges and--Ta-Da! It was easier than I expected, and I am excited to play more with tape/stripes/paint in the future.



We took this opportunity to take down the crib and remove the changing table (sniff, sniff! My baby is no longer a teeny baby!) and purchased a new big bed for our growing boy.

Now Winston's room looks like this (taken at night when the lights play weird with the green...)





I have some fun projects up my sleeve that pinterest has fine-tuned. Hopefully within a few days weeks, I'll have something to show for those.

Until then, I can't believe how much space a twin bed takes! For the first second another time in our house, I feel like we need more space!  :)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Melanie, I LOVVVVVE this. Like really a lot. I love your painting tips and the way it turned out--SO much fun! Ah man, I can't wait to have my own house to paint. I will definitely be trying some of your techniques and hopefully I'm brave enough to try out some bright colors like you did.

Summer Naylor said...

Sooo cute! Good job! We just moved into a house, renting while they try to sell, and it needs a lot of new paint! I can't wait till we have our own home that I can paint and look nice. It is hard to have to live with imperfections of rentals because you know you won't be there long.

Merrilee said...

That is so cute! I really think we need to do a painting party at my house! I would never dare tackle that on my own!

The Monson Family said...

That looks so cute! I love the stripes!