Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Declutter Bug: Joy of Less Part 1

I have the declutter bug.


Well, maybe my declutter bug started with a comment from my sister-in-law who mentioned how much stuff we (Americans) have, after visiting Brazil and staying with people who have very little, but are so happy and so generous.

Why do we have so much stuff? And why is so much of it really just plain silly to actually keep and store? We can all get by on much less.

Maybe my declutter bug started when I moved to college and realized I didn’t have money to shop, and other than food and textbooks, I really didn’t need to shop, anyway. Or maybe I got the declutter bug when I started taking serious classes in family finance and realized I had major goals to accomplish (like paying off Sam’s student loans before they came due and never going into consumer debt). That’s motivation to avoid shopping-for-fun.

And during this time, I moved countless times (9-ish) from apartment to apartment to finally a home, and all that while we chiseled down on stuff we were sick of moving, and stuff we found we never used since we last packed it.

Now, I wasn’t always good at decluttering. Oh boy. I think it took until I was 15 to actually have a clean room. And that meant I could walk from my bed to my door without stepping on anything. My walls were always decorated with everything and anything, as well as my dresser top, desk top, window sill, etc., etc. I definitely had clutter.

Our "stuff" after unloading our uhaul in our previous apartment, a few years
ago. Most of what you see here was crammed in our 2nd bedroom
During the first 5 years of our marriage, we got good at purging! But probably better at re-organizing and re-shifting. Our last two apartments before our home had two bedrooms. The second bedroom only had our stuff in it. Stuff taking up the entire closet, stuff on shelves from floor to ceiling. Stuff. Stuff. STUFF! And to think how much time I spent un-doing our puzzle of stuff to find a more efficient way to fit in all the pieces so I didn’t feel like it was going to topple on me. What a waste of time (especially because a lot of that stuff we have since tossed)!

Okay, confession time. We moved into our house not quite two years ago. And we haven’t really done much purging. In fact, all of our stuff filled (almost) our four bedroom house (not to mention we have a living room AND a family room…which none of our apartments could boast). And we’ve acquired more stuff—you know, all that we’re-homeowners-now stuff. And where we did have empty space, it has been really easy to stow stuff.

Then comes a long a new director in my office. He’s from a different office, so he comes with a nice, fresh view of how cluttered crowded to improve our office. He wiggled funds around and did all sorts of things to open the space and clear the clutter, or as he calls it, feng shui-ed it. I spent the last two months decluttering my office. So maybe that’s the true source of my declutter bug.

Then add to that a discussion right after Christmas with a great friend of mine about gifts, and stuff, and organizing, and then she mentioned the book, Joy of Less. All the above things had been ringing in my head for weeks—maybe months and years.

So, I read the book.

And I have the declutter bug. Five fairly large boxes of stuff are waiting to be donated. Junk has been thrown away. Papers have been shredded and recycled. More stuff is on my list of things to sell.

It feels AWESOME.

I’ve read a few decluttering books before, but this one has a unique perspective. Minimalism.

My following posts will tell you more of what I find most noteworthy about the book, and perhaps you’ll catch my declutter bug, too.

No comments: