Thursday, January 26, 2012

Space: Joy of Less Part 2

Space. Isn’t that something humans always seek? That’s part of why the West was settled. That’s why NASA exists, right? That’s why people buy larger homes--for more space.

How many of us feel like we need a bigger house, because we need more square footage—more space? I hear my friends and neighbors talk about space (or lack thereof) often. One thing we don’t really consider is that our stuff takes up space, and when we get rid of it we have MORE space—more square footage. Ah-ha! (I’m thinking of Gru: “Liiight bulb” bwahaha)

When selling your home, real estate agents will recommend to remove some stuff to make it more marketable—to make it look like there is more space. Wouldn’t you love to always have a home that looked bigger and more open?

Then let the decluttering begin! Wahoo!

“By creating space in our homes, we put the focus back where it should be: on what we do, rather than what we own. Life is too short to waste fussing over stuff.” (Joy of Less, p. 36)

The author of Joy of Less described her bedroom. In it is only a mattress for a bed. Not even as much as this photo.

At first I thought that was ridiculous. She downsized her wardrobe and used some creative closet storage to contain the rest of it in her closet. She reads in other areas of the house, so no need for a nightstand. Bedroom is sleep time--no need for anything more.

While reading the book, I kept thinking “I’m not that extreme, but there are some good ideas in the book, so I’ll keep reading.” Now that I’ve finished, this minimalist bedroom description is what sticks in my head the most. And the more I think about it, the more I LOVE IT!

In fact, I plan on buying some closet hanging-type storage to put things like socks and underwear in the un-used space between the bottom of my clothes and the top of the shelves beneath them. Then I can get rid of my dresser drawers, too! I’d have that much more open space!

But really, what do you think of that idea? What emotions come to mind when you think about this image being your bedroom?

Sometimes empty space bothers us—and we feel the need to fill it. But think how nice it would be to open and close a closet or pantry or cupboard or drawer (you pick) and find SPACE inside—and not something falling on you. Think how nice and quick it would be to pick out an outfit, because the only clothes you own are those you like and wear frequently. Think how easy it would be to open a drawer and not have to shove stuff back in order to close it. Or think how much less stressful it would be to find something really quickly, because you’re not sorting through tons of stuff trying to find it.

Aww, I like the sound of space. And the look of it, too. I’m really getting addicted to feng shui and minimalist inspiration. I think I’ll start a board on pinterest.

In the mean time, ponder upon the quote above in bold. Life really is too short to fuss over stuff. How much time do you spend fussing over your stuff?

No comments: