My maternal grandmother, Norma Flygare Thacker, passed away in November 2006, at the age of 83. She was a widow for about 32 1/2 years. My aunt, my grandmother's youngest child, wrote this poem the other day.MY MOTHER'S FAITH
I wish that I could have the faith that my dear mother had,
It seems she turned into good, the things that seemed so bad.
She always said she could get through with the Lord by her side,
And then she’d go and do all she could with a smile so big and wide.
She did whatever the Lord asked of her no matter what it seemed to be
From scouting with the boys to young women and then on to primary.
I watched while she taught Gospel Doctrine like a true professor could,
And I saw her take the boy scouts out camping in the woods.
She taught the women in Relief Society how to sew and cook and mend,
And into the nursery she’d go and with loving arms the babies tend.
She lost her parents, some brothers, my dad, a daughter and grandkids, too,
But she taught us we’d see them all again if we lived as we were asked to do.
She lived through the great depression, she said it didn’t seem soo bad,
Then off to the Marines to fight in World War II she sent her husband, my dad.
While dad was off to war she was raising daughter one, and she had number two,
While he was away at war, she lived her life and did what she needed to do.
Oh, I wish that I could have the faith that she had her entire life,
I wish I could cope the way she did, with my trials and my strife.
She made me know that the sun would shine after a stormy night,
She made me know that Lord was not just hers, but also my Light.
I miss calling her and having her tell me things will be okay,
But I look forward to seeing her loving face, in heaven one day.
No comments:
Post a Comment