Thursday, August 7, 2008

Another OCD Habit

Yesterday I realized I have yet one more habit to add to my OCD List.
  • I cannot throw any sort of bottle away (water bottle, pop bottle, milk jug, etc.) without first taking off the lid. If needed and possible, I also have to put the remaining liquid down a drain. I usually end up asking people I know (if I catch them in the act) to take the lid off before they throw it away (that's how I remembered I have this OCD habit--I caught my intern in the act of throwing away a watter bottle with the lid screwed on). Sometimes I'll even reach in the garbage (gross, I know) and take off a few lids, but only if I see a bunch at the top of the garbage.
I heard once that if there is liquid in a bottle and the lid is on, nothing can crush that bottle because of the pressure inside (go ahead and try it!), and therefore there's a certain percentage of the world's garbage that is air.

Smart people who have had multiple hard-core science classes are the only ones that believe me. And also people who have worked in recycling centers, because their job was to unscrew the lids for that reason. So it must be important if people get paid to take the lids off, right? It's not just another of my OCD habits?

1 comment:

Jentry said...

You have turned me onto this and I do it as well (I also reach into garbage cans, and usually put them into the recycle.) I sometimes have to catch myself telling strangers to not throw them away with the lid on.