Thursday, May 26, 2011

Food, Glorious Food

Food is wonderful, isn't it?

I'm not a foodie, per se, but I appreciate good, healthy (and oodles of unhealthy, too), flavorful, colorful food more and more as I get older. Sam has introduced me to tastes I didn't really grow up with, and together we've found many new favorites, as well.

I sometimes drool over some of my friends' food blogs and posts, and I know there are many more foodie blogs I would love to follow, but choose not to in order to simplify my blogging time. I tend to favor the blogs that post recipes with ingredients I usually stock in my pantry AND those that are quick to prepare (I am not one to slave away in the kitchen...unless, of course, it's Thanksgiving pies or Christmas goodies).

Photo from here
A few weeks ago, I noticed this no-bake lasagna recipe in Martha Stewart's Living magazine. Sam made it last night. Yu-um! And super, super quick to make. I can't wait to eat left-overs for lunch tomorrow.

It's a perfect summer recipe, too, with fresh-from-the-garden ingredients and very little heating (no oven).

It was my first time ever purchasing block romano cheese and a container of ricotta cheese, if you can believe that. Not that I've never eaten those, I just have never purchased them. And they were on sale--bonus. And since our basil plant is still a little sprout-ling, I had to purchase basil. And that was on clearance markdown--double bonus (and some more to freeze some pesto).

Sam didn't noticed I purchased grape tomatoes until after the simmering part; he used canned tomatoes instead, and it worked well. He added in some fresh ones in the end. When I got home from work, the whole house smelled of basil and garlic and my knees about gave out on me. Basil is one of my favorite smells.

Good, good stuff. I just noticed online a similar recipe with zucchini...I'll be pulling that one out once the garden produces.

On another note, I made a favorite treat the other day. I had a meeting at work, and it so happened there were 3 birthdays to celebrate at the meeting. So, I took along this sinful chocolate bundt cake.

It's been a family favorite since I was in high school and my mom's neighbor baked one for my mom's b-day.

I've even adapted it to be less unhealthy and a teeny bit more healthy, by using non-fat plain yogurt in place of sour cream, and applesauce instead of  oil. Too bad there isn't a perfect substitute for powdered sugar in the icing...

If you don't like chocolate, don't make this, because it is all about chocolate.




Chocolate Bundt Cake
1 Devils Food or Chocolate Fudge cake mix                                    4 eggs
1 small package of instant chocolate pudding                  1 cup sour cream
½ cup water                                                                                          ½ cup oil

Mix the above ingredients then add:
1 ½ cups chocolate chips

With a pastry brush, brush the bottom of the bundt pan with shortening or butter.
Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

Glaze:
6 large marshmallows                                    4 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon milk

Melt the above ingredients and take off heat, then add:
2 cups powdered sugar                                    ½ cup cocoa                                   
1 teaspoon vanilla

Let stand till glaze thickens.  Drizzle over cake. Dust with cocoa or powdered sugar.

1 comment:

Julianne said...

Oh man, both those recipes look delicious. I'll have to try them. Thanks for sharing!