Friday, May 6, 2011

Chop It Down, Take It Away (please, oh please, take it away)

Until last week, we had this HUGE elm tree in our front yard, way too close to the sidewalk (that is all broken up). It's not a pretty tree, and it's branches are always breaking off, including a few during some winter storms.

So, we took it down (and when I saw "we" I really don't mean "me" in any way).


One company asked $1100 (!) to take it down. That's not really our budget for now, and we REALLY wanted to get rid of it. Thankfully Sam has a super handy and adventurous uncle who was up for the task.


I have to admit that I feel naked and a teeny tinge of guilt when I look out the window and see no tree.


But really, it had to go.

And now, we're just waiting for the take-it-away part.


I've filled up our two garbage cans twice with all the little twigs and saw dust. Sam's taken many of the small logs to the backyard to use for firewood next year (though that pile doesn't look like it's been touched).

And we've got this awesome pile o' branches reminiscent of  Maleficent's throne bushes beneath the Sleepy Beauty's castle.



Doesn't it just shout, "Hey, welcome to our house!" in the most loving, welcoming way?   No? I didn't really think so, either. Thankfully, it's city clean up day next week (woot, woot!) and a nice big truck will be coming our way to mulch up all those twigs.

No comments: