Monday, May 16, 2011

How Did 2 Years Fly By?



I can't believe it has been 2 years since this little dude was born! He is such a joy in our lives, and I really can't put all that joy into words. (I tried.)

May is a huge b-day month in my family. Yesterday we celebrated all the May b-days (up to 9 now) at our house.


Learning how to swipe frosting off the cake with fingers


My niece Kaitlyn ate the frosting off Winston's finger, and he looked at her like, "What are you doing? I got that for me to eat!"
Today we had another party with Sam's family. I decided to go against conformity and forgo traditional birthday cake and ice-cream. This isn't the first time. Sam and I deliberately chose not to have a wedding cake. And there were many times growing up that I didn't want cake, and asked for pie instead. I toyed with the idea of making a cookie cake (like the large ones at Mrs. Field's cookies) or large chocolate chip cookies (Winston loves cookies) to frost with the number 2 or something, but I couldn't find a recipe and I ran out of time to do multiple test-batches trying to make a cookie recipe work.

So, last minute I decided to make some chocolate and vanilla pudding parfaits, layered with chocolate and vanilla oreo-like cookies and cool whip. Easy-peasy to put together and yummy! We even stuck a candle on top for Winston, which he blew out all by himself after 3-4 blows.


See the yummy parfaits? Chocolate and vanilla? Best photo I got (actually Sam got)...sorry. Now they are all gone...

Here was the highlight of the party. I sure love his little laugh.


10 comments:

Heather Bliss said...

So cute! How do I follow your blog Mel?

The Monson Family said...

Happy Birthday Winston! He is such a cute little guy. Fun idea with the pudding btw. (Yummy).

Summer Naylor said...

It's crazy how fast they grow! Maybrie loved the balloon video of Winston, it was pretty funny.

Amanda Fetters said...

He is so sweet!! Love that picture of him looking up at your (rad) banner. Happy Bday, W!

Melanie said...

Heather, I don't know how you follow other people's blogs, but I do mine through google reader. Or, you can go to blogger dashboard and follow blogs through there. Anyone have any better ideas?

Merrilee said...

Winston is so cute! Thanks for hosting the party Sunday!

Lindsay said...

Wow...2 years did go fast. Check out this link for a giant cookie http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2010/05/giant-cookie.html I've been meaning to try it. But it looks wonderful.

The Paisers said...

Happy Birthday Winston!! I too loved seeing you guys at the concert the other night. We would love to get together! Maybe when the weather warms up we can have a BBQ at our house, or we could come to yours, whichever is easier. Maybe for old times sake we could have trombone throwing contest! Take care!

Karissa Berndt said...

What a darling little boy! I can't believe he's already 2. Cute pictures, and a totally awesome banner (I'm going to steal that idea by the way)! Happy Birthday Winston!!

Diane said...

Adorable laugh! I love that he's wearing his backpack in a lot of the pictures. Man! Those blue eyes are amazing!