Thursday, May 15, 2008

Duchesne County a la Bus

Last week, Sam and I went on a tour of Duchesne County with the Duchesne County Chamber of Commerce. We learned a lot. For example, Duchesne County has the only Honeycomb Calcite quarry in the world, and it costs over $100/sq ft, and is shipped mostly to Italy, but there are more and more people making counter-tops out of it. We learned that Starvation Reservoir is only a short bike ride away, so we now have some Saturday afternoons planned for us. We discovered a beautiful, new, classy restaurant called Hollow Moon Cafe that is just yummy! Now I know where to take people when they come to visit.

And we learned that while there are only about 14,000 residents in Duchesne County, there are 50,000 property tax invoices sent out each year. That means that a lot of people from out of the county own property in Duchesne County. It's a pretty popular place!! And we also learned that there actually are BEAUTIFUL areas around...like Tabiona & Altamont. Gorgeous!

2 comments:

Jentry said...

What is the world is honeycomb calcite? It is made in caves or by bees?

Melanie said...

It's found on/in the mountains somewhere near Hanna in Duchesne County. I think they call it honeycomb, because under the light it has the honeycomb design in it. It's really beautiful. I guess there's even a wall of it in that new hospital off 53rd in Salt Lake...