Monday, September 22, 2008

Bikin' in the Rain

Saturday morning I enjoyed a nice, not-as-windy-as-usual bike ride from my home to an itsy-bitsy town called Utahn. It's a fairly scenic route for around here--passing farms and small cows who run away like you are trying to snatch them. There's llama, snakes, and large long-horn steers. Hardly any traffic. A very nice way to enjoy some exercise.

It's a ride that slowly takes you uphill (you don't tend to notice the slight incline, unless it's windy and then you really notice. Ugh.), with a temendous hill at the end connecting to highway 87, which from there to Duchesne is a carefree, air-through-your-hair downhill ride.

It took me 30 minutes to get to the turnoff to Utahn (7.3 miles from my home), 10 minutes to bike up the hill to highway 87 (1.4 miles...steep uphill, like I said), and 20 minutes to soar down the highway and back home (6.3 miles). (and this is on a regular mtn bike--I don't own a road bike yet) I'm not sure if those are good times or not...

The best part was watching the clouds as I rode. The morning ride started out as beautiful and bright with omnious-looking clouds coming from the south-west. I thought they'd continue south-westerly, and that I'd be too north of them before anything could happen. I was wrong! Each time I looked toward the clouds they were more and more north--following me up the road.

Just as I got to the turn off toward the highway (the uphill part) it rained on me. My bike and I were drenched! And as soon as I got to the highway (10 minutes later), it stopped raining, and I could see the storm cloud heading east, away from me.

The rain was quite refreshing, actually. And while I was certainly freezing by the time I flew downhill in soaking clothes, I did enjoy a nice mug of hot chocolate and a steamy bath to warm me.

No comments: