
I'm not even sure I can remember my wedding day as vividly as I can recall exactly what I was doing when I heard about the Terrorist Attacks on the morning of September 11, 2001.
I was getting ready for school, curling my hair and doing makeup, when I heard my mom gasp from in front of the TV down the hall.
"Melanie, come see this. A plane just crashed into the World Trade Center in New York!"
"Is it foggy there?"
"No, come see."
I took a look, and was astonished. What a mess. Those poor people in that building. I wonder what happened...
Feeling concerned, but nothing more, I headed back to doing my hair and makeup. Not long after that, my mom gasped again.
"Another plane crashed into it."
I had a sinking feeling. It was hard to believe that one plane could crash into such an enormous building--but two? This wasn't an accident, and I didn't like the feeling that loomed over me.
I watched the news play the crash over and over. I listened to the radio on the way to school, only thinking about how tragic this is and confusing, but again nothing more.
My high school Spanish teacher, Mr. Yoder, turned on the TV and asked us to sit quietly. We didn't have a quiz, an assignment, or anything. He asked us to pay attention, because this would be a day we'd always remember. Many of us took out paper and wrote down our thoughts. I'm sure many of us were silently praying, as well, as we watched in horror as people jumped out of windows to their death; as we watched the ghastly, ominous smoke and debris fill the streets and the air; as we watched hordes of people running, many with noticeable injuries; as we watched the towers collapse.
Every time I'm in a parking garage, I can't help but think of the people who were trapped in the parking garages under the World Trade Center. How frightening it must have been for them.
Later that day, I headed to the mall to pick up something. Many stores were closed. The mall was empty. The streets were empty. Everyone seemed to be at home, appreciating their families, and mourning with the rest of the country.
May we continue to remember September 11, 2001. May we continue to appreciate our families. May we continue to appreciate our country. And may God continue to Bless America.
1 comment:
Amen Melanie,
We all need these reminders of what is important and what we should always remember. It was a sad day, and I can still remember the sinking feeling I had too. Hopefully our country will always be strong and thriving and be able to pick up the pieces and keep going.
Thanks for you memories, I love to read them.
Jen :)
Post a Comment