Friday, March 19, 2010

All Work and {very little} Play

In no more than a week since we started working on it, the house is gutted. Sam and company managed to throw out all the baseboards, molding, doors, light and outlet plates, and carpet (with padding).

They also knocked out a wall (on purpose) so that we can do some minor remodeling to build a pantry in what used to be the kitchen/hallway entry. 

Sam has also patched all the holes, and is beginning to experiment with a new texture to all the walls. He's never done this before, but so far the experimenting is going well. It will add a more modern look to the house.

Last week we spent a lot of time getting bids for a new furnace, a/c and water heater. The plumber also came and installed a new toilet, shower head, kitchen faucet, and fixed the major plumbing leak from the main water line. We even had a few minutes to check out laminate and carpet choices, but nothing is finalized yet in that arena. Oh, and the garage door man came and installed an opener (which was more expensive than we thought, but now we have an automated door). AND (yes, I said we did lots in one week) Sam's friend came and did some wiring for us (more of that to come yet).

Today, Sam and his younger brother put up sheetrock in the storage area under the stairs to cover the nasty looking installation. Looks much, much better.

Winston has come along for much of it, commanding from above what needs to happen next, and dropping graham cracker crumbs down our back.

So far, so good.

5 comments:

Jillian said...

It's so nice to see someone getting all this type of stuff done at the beginning... it takes SO much longer if you wait til you're "settled" in the new place. Way to be!

Nancy said...

Holy cow! This looks awesome. I am very impressed. How totally exciting! I can't wait to come see. I am willing to come help too -- call me if my wimpy arms can help! :D

The Monson Family said...

Wow, you guys are doing a ton of work! By the way, we used Valspar high hiding primer from Lowes for our walls. (We also had it tinted to get a better match with the color sample card). Good luck on all of your home projects; it's looking great!

Summer Naylor said...

Wow Mel! So exciting. Busy, but fun that you get to have this new adventure and have a place that you can actually fix up. Sometimes I'd love to take some paint to the boring cream walls of our apartment. And I am so glad that you are able to get some of this done before you move in. It is such a pain to have to live in a place while you work around stuff. I love the updates.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't it feel good getting so much accomplished? I especially love having lists so that I can cross things off. It gives me a sense of accomplishment.