Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Calling All Moms of Little Boys

Know any fabulous toys that would be perfect for a little Easter basket? I'm in need of some good, tried-and-true little toys to entertain (and educate) a particularly curious (and cute) 10 month old.

Nothing too fancy or too expensive--we're remodeling a home, you'll recall--but something to spice up his play time.

Ideas?

3 comments:

Nancy said...

OH! I'm such a sucker for good toys! (Sorry in advance for the long post that is coming!)

When Derek was that age I loved these Tonka trucks that you can buy individually at Target. They're like $3. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Tonka-Chuck-Friends-3-pack-Truck/dp/B0039GKU4I/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1269405428&sr=8-31

The other thing I loved was musical instruments. At Gymboree Play and Music (there is one sort of by your house in Fort Union) they have some good ones, but they're not super cheap. I've found stuff at Funfinity in Orem since, but his Gymboree toys have totally been through the works and are still awesome. Anyway, they have some online you can see (but go to the store if you can because I think they are cheaper there!)

http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_category.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374306236932&bmUID=1269405629738

And being on Gymboree.com reminded me about one of Derek's still favorite toys: a bubble gun. It has batteries (and may sound lazy), but it is just a fan with a bunch of bubble wand circle things attached to it. He got one for his birthday a couple years ago and wants to use it like... everyday. This one is sorta like the one he has:

http://www.amazon.com/Many-Bubbles-Mini-Ray-Gun/dp/B001LUUSN2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1269405930&sr=1-9

And... lets see... he got a First Years play cell phone (it counts, lights up, sings songs, etc.) for a present once too. I've seen them at grocery stores since. Not for the price they have on Amazon though! (Usually like $8.)

http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Play-Discovery-Phone/dp/B001G3WBX4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1269406064&sr=1-2

We also got him some kids music and play it in his room. When we started doing that was when he started to play in his room by himself. So maybe a CD?

My little brother had one of these growing up, so when I saw this (they had a different version a couple years ago), I had to get it. It is still fun:

http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_item.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524445986218&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374306253196&bmUID=1269406254131

We also got an idea from Katie (Smith) Morgan to get play tools. She had a play drill at Bryce's HS reunion and ALL the little boys wanted it. Very cool and very cheap. I've seen them at Target during Christmas, but I know Toys R Us always has Home Depot toys.

AND (I promise this is when I will stop blabbing, but I suppose you DID ask!), I LOVE Little People. The fire trucks, the garage, the airplane, the bus, etc. are all so darling. I got most of my collection on KSL or eBay for very reasonable prices. They sing, there are different people to put in, they are fun to push along, etc.

Okay, I'm done. I do say (honestly) when people are having a girl that they may have fun shopping for clothes, but the boy toys are WAY cooler!

Summer Naylor said...

Ok, so I think Nancy has got you covered... and I am not a mom of a little boy... but I do want to say that I can't wait to see those bright blue eyes in person again soon!

Lisa said...

We found some good toys at the dollar store this year to go in the kid's stockings, and the easter basket is no different. There were solid, hard plastic dinosaurs and horses and other farm animals. Those are always great.

Another things little kids like are flashlights. If you get a little one, it probably isn't too pricey. They love pushing the button on and off, and watching the light on the floor.

Little board books are good too. I also liked getting my babies some baby-type snacks for their Easter baskets, instead of candy. Like puffs, graham crackers, cheese sticks, grapes, etc.

If you decide to buy plastic eggs, though, make sure they're large and heavy plastic. We bought some little ones that were kind of thin...talk about a choking hazard!