About 5 years ago, I wouldn't allow a friend to borrow one of my CDs because he was going to burn it. That was the first time I stood up to pirating music. To the best of my knowledge, I haven't burned a CD of music since then. But, I didn't get rid of all my previous pirated stuff, so kind of hypocritical, right?
On Sunday, Sam and I listened to this clip, and decided it was finally time to stop pretending to be pirates and chuck all of our pirated music--music that either A) we ourselves had burned from other people's collections, B) we downloaded from other people's collections, or C) illegally burned music we were given by other people.
I didn't count the number of CDs, but here's what it looked like (minus a few we threw away in a bag that's already in the dumpster):
We made a to-purchase list on Amazon of all the songs and albums we actually want to keep in our collection. That shopping cart total is right around $300. We'll be buying some every now and then for the next long while.
How about you? Rrrr you still a pirate? (you wouldn't still a car would you? haha)
3 comments:
Nope, I download LEGALLY off itunes or buy my own cd's. :-)
We use Pandora.com (an online radio) a lot, and it is great. It's free, but you can listen to almost any kind of music with only a few ads rarely. We also like using blogger's free playlists. I've just set mine up so it won't come on whenever someone opens my page. That's how we find music we like without spending a fortune, and without pirating either. There's awesome services out there, if you know where to look.
That's actually something I've been thinking about for awhile. I'm going to start buying itunes gift cards and then just replacing my music that way.
Post a Comment