And to the next-to-last conclusion I've come to (that I'm going to blog about).
3. We can always change our minds.
Few things in life are so easily remedied. We may not like what we've picked out once it entirely covers our walls. Perhaps the black wall will be too much, or the orange room too orangey. Thankfully, paint is inexpensive, and it doesn't take too much time or effort to re-paint, especially if it is just one room.
A few years ago when I moved away from home to go to college, I discovered how much I enjoyed moving. In less than 7 years, I have lived in 7 places (going on 8). And I have looked forward to moving each time. I get a thrill from re-organizing our furniture and other stuff. I love purging stuff I haven't used in a little while.
(Here is a completely unrelated photo, just for look-how-cute-he-is sake.)
My mom worries a bit when she hears this. She once said, "Oh no, you aren't going to be one of those families that moves ever 2-3 years are you?" My first reaction was "Well, that would kind of be nice." But in reality, I don't really want to spend the rest of my life moving. I was born and raised in one home, and I enjoyed that. I'd like my kids to have a similar experience. This may not be the home, but we're getting closer.
To balance my desire to be constantly changing, I can always buy some new paint and perhaps a couple new decor items to change the look of our home without having to move. And hopefully we will, so that in 30 years our decorating style won't look like what the 1970-80's styles look to us now.
Which leads me on to the final conclusion I've realized while preparing our home (see next post).
No comments:
Post a Comment