Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Month of Love: Lap Swims

I'm not a runner, but I got really, really into running the Summer after my freshman year of college. It was my first Summer in Logan, and every day was a fabulous day to run in Logan. It's beautiful there.

Towards the end of Summer, right as Fall semester began, my knees totally went ka-pooey on me. It didn't help that I lived at the bottom of a really steep hill that I climbed up and down multiple times a day.

Taken during a summer vacation in CA in Aug. 2008.
So, I kind of gave up running. About a year later, I enrolled in a swimming class for an easy 1-2 credits and to officially learn to swim. I could pass the boy-scout swim test before that, but I never really knew the correct swimming techniques.

After the swim class during Fall semester in 2005, I dragged myself to the pool twice a week in the wee-early (and dark!) hours of the morning. At first I was a little embarrassed to jump in lanes next to people who have been swimming their whole lifetime. But I soon grew to love it, and even got comments from these swimming-pros about the good technique I had.

After a couple of good years of regular lap swimming in Logan, I moved to Duchesne in the dead of Winter. Duchesne, as small as it is, does have a pool (hooray!), but, it's only open in the Summer (sigh...). I had to wait months until I could lap swim regularly. Then it closed around Labor Day, and before the next Summer little Winston was born and I reserved my early morning swim time to sleep and recover during the postpartum time.

Sam named this "the hippo lurker." Should I be offended?
Even though we now live (really, really) close to a pool that is open seven days a week, I have yet to get back in the swing of regular lap swimming. Oh, how I miss it!

The other day we took Winston and I veered away to swim a few hundred meters for my first time in over 2 years. My body ached for more!

I love swimming laps!

Now, if I could just kick my butt out of bed at 5AM so I could actually get to the pool...

No comments: