I went straight from living with my parents to college with roommates to being married. The first time I ever lived in my own place with no other resident was on our little three-semester excursion apart from each other as we both worked on our master's degrees and as I started my first "real" job.
Of course I missed Sam. But I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed living on my own. The apartment was almost always clean, and if it wasn't--it was my
own fault. I could make and eat whatever I wanted, when I wanted. I could come and go as I pleased. It was nice!

One of my favorite parts was the time after work and dinner before bed. I'd curl up on the couch with a book (which, for the first time in many semesters, was not a textbook) and read and read.
Now, I only rarely get that lovely alone time with the couch and a good book. Usually it's after Winston's gone to sleep for the evening and Sam is camping or fishing. Since it is so sparse, it is even more treasured.
1 comment:
YES. This is one reason why I love Army life so much. Like you said - of course I miss him - but dang, that alone-time is sublime.
Post a Comment